Restoration of a Glider Waco CG-4A structure.

Glider-borne

Hello everybody,

During the 2013 commemoration of D-day in Normandie, I spoke with friends who rebuilt a glider Waco.

http://www.ldr508pir82airbornevendee.fr.sitew.com/#le_WACO_cg_4A_.E

I really enjoy the idea and therefore I would to do the same for the 70th celebration.

This summer; I saw in Normandy a militaria shop who had to sale a middle frame of a glider Waco .

So I done my holidays around Sainte-Mère Eglise ( to drive my cushman in hedges and found some fabrics of parachutes in the ground).

And I came back with the glider frame.

P9166208.JPG

P9216269.JPG

Probably not in the best condition of the world, but an original which flew into the european sky in 1940's.

Not sure, but I have some information who show that he was probably discovered in Holland.

So since september I spend my spare time to seek the missing parts on internet or in militaria flea markets.

One of major help is The Glider and Military Museum in the Iron Mountain MI who helps me by selling a lots of surplus parts of their restoration project.

http://www.exploringthenorth.com/gliders/display.html

Pieces_D-262.jpg

I redid a floor :

PA306600-1.JPG

And welded some parts:

1457622_1420015164881997_1270253171_n.jp

And found more parts :

PB286783-1r.JPG

and drawn :

410.jpg

And found more parts :

roues-waco.JPG

And more :

510.jpg

610.jpg

Since the beginning I started a facebook page who help me to collect documents, informations and contacts :

https://www.facebook.com/Gliderborne

And communicate with the most people possible to find missing parts and try to finish the frame as soon as possible, the best date would be the June 6th, 2014.

So if you have some books, pictures or anything who will can help us for this project, I will be very glad and grateful if you can get in touch with us.

At the end, the glider will be put in a museum, with conditions. (some European museums has encountered problems with missing parts...)

++ ;)

Mat

Ps : English isn't my first language, sorry for missing words or wrong written phrases.

Ps : English isn't my first language, sorry for missing words or wrong written phrases.

Looks great! Thanks for posting your progress.

And you speak English better than some Americans! ;)

...Kat

Wow! That's a helluva undertaking...I congratulate you on the progress you've evidently made so far...and good luck with the rest!

Thanks Kat and Sabrejet ;-)

Doinworkinvans, 'hope you no be hurted ^^

Now I know a new slang expression. :D

Gregory,

Static only, we have the most stu... punctilious administration in this world. They never give a flight authorization to a coffin with wings.

Gregory,

Static only, we have the most stu... punctilious administration in this world. They never give a flight authorization to a coffin with wings.

I guess both we are under EASA jurisdiction,... yes the EASA is not FAA. I can imagine € millions to certify both CG-4A and: tow rope, release mechanism, hook and the tug of course.

Gregory is going to love this....big time! :D

I piloted in my life so old wooden motorless flying coffins that... my HS-33 + T-30 are waiting to use them in proper place... B)

I wish you Matt the greatest possible success with your project but... in the case of parts shortage remember that you may build the CG-4A Motor Boat and it will be historically correct as well... :o:lol:B)

post-75-0-21861200-1386114099.jpg

:D What type of engine was used ?

I really like the picture, I saw another when I searched some pics of gliders.

I don't remember, this isn't made in Asian war theatre ?

Yes, the CG-4A Airboat is super-duper! :D

The image posted was taken in the CBI. I do not know unfortunately what engine is a powerplant for this propeller-driven cruiser. It may be everything including captured Japanese.

doinworkinvans

Glad I could teach someone something :)

I think what you're doing is absolutely incredible and I applaud your efforts and I am cheering you on!

Hi all,

I just make an exchange for the rear frame, metal structure is now complete at 2/3.
Rear frame come from Le Muy/Operation Dragoon, Cargo frame from Holland/Market Garden and wheel from Normandie/Neptune.
rearframe_001.JPG

^_^ Happy

... and wheel from Normandie/Neptune.

Just in case -- in fact CG-4A main wheels were taken from T-6 and P-51 so you may use wide range of wheels, also from both planes mentioned.

Mat,

And what about tail wheel? Do you have it?

It was designed specifically for the CG-4A by Scott Aviation Corporation -- a very good company specializing in tail wheels for American aviation.

The CG-4A tail wheel was full-swivel type based on standard Scott's tail wheels.

Just in case -- in fact CG-4A main wheels were taken from T-6 and P-51 so you may use wide range of wheels, also from both planes mentioned.

Yes and the Stearman have the same wheels, like in this ebay ad : http://www.ebay.com/itm/Stearman-Hayes-Brakes-and-wheel-assembly-/290805166020?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b556afc4

I haven't the tail wheel, but a member in this forum has found some glider parts, with four tail wheels :

post-7669-1252625223.jpg

You had posted in another forum the picture below, is-it from a technical manual ?

vzvas9.jpg

:)

You had posted in another forum the picture below, is-it from a technical manual ?

vzvas9.jpg

:)

It is from the Scott Aviation Corporation's wartime press advert where they announced that they designed that wheel for the CG-4A.

That a killer question.

The best would be, if a veteran who flew in a Waco during the war can support us, I will put the glider in the same appearance, name and serial number.

But I do not know anyone who can do that.

The mainly operation would be the Normandy D-Day. Better it a painting scheme who can be the most common for reused easily.

So if you have any pictures/ideas, I'm happy to see them. ;)

For the moment I haven't spent time to found these infos.

Ps : hard to translate correctly "support", not a financial way but just morally.

All people or institutions that have restored CG-4As did it in the OD painting scheme.

There is a question -- do WWII era airborne-interested fans of history need yet another OD CG-4A?

I would answer -- No.

Therefore I would paint your glider in light grey painting scheme because such CG-4As were also used in the ETO and they had invasion stripes as well. For example, CG-4A, sn 43-41808, was light grey and had invasion stripes.