AEF Service Chevron Lapel Pins

• 2 weeks later...
world war I nerd

40th Engineer Regiment-Camouflage, enlisted aviator, and a pair of war service chevrons on an overseas cap.

post-5143-0-01761500-1431934637.jpg

• 3 months later...

A nice 166th Infantry Regiment, 42nd Division pin and a Women's Volunteer Services pin

The American Women's Volunteer Services was created in 1940. This was a WWII organization and not a WWI group. While it is very nice pin, it is not an AEF pin.

...Kat

A U.S. Navy honorable discharge pin, 169th Aero Squadron pin, and another U.S. Navy pin

A pair of patriotic pins and an "In Service Over There" pin

I believe the first US Navy honorable discharge pin that you show was used during WWII and not WWI. Were these used in WWI?

I believe the first pin with the E was also for WWII. It was an Excellence in manufacturing pin. Correct?

I thought this thread was for WWI pins and I believe some of these are WWII. While everything you have shown is simply beautiful, I just don't want people getting confused.

...Kat

• 1 year later...
world war I nerd

It's been a while since I've updated this post ... so what time is better than the present.

First off thank you cutiger83 for correcting my mistake of unwittingly entering two WW II era lapel pins. My apologies for the error.

Anyway, here are examples of 2nd, 3rd and 38th Infantry, 3rd Division pins.

post-5143-0-40834000-1484307808_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

A 12th Division soldier with an enameled 12th Division pin on his left pocket flap.

Photos courtesy of the John Adams-Graf collection

post-5143-0-46146500-1484307923_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

5th and 9th Division pins and either a French rooster or Ambulance Service pin on the haversack for a U.S. gasmask.

5th Division & rooster pins courtesy of Bay State Militaria.com

9th Division pin courtesy of Griffin Militaria.com

post-5143-0-85058800-1484308647_thumb.jpg

Here's an interesting group composed of a lapel pin worn by an individual who was exempt from service, a different type of enameled service chevron pin, and a war mother pin.

If you notice in post #18, the War Mothers Pin, one of the stars is Gold, the wearer lost a son while serving during WW I. If I recall correctly, the War Mothers organization was very vocal about staying out of another European war prior to Dec. 7, '41.

This is a great thread!

Thanks for all the nice postings.

BKW