AEF Service Chevron Lapel Pins

After seeing the wonderful posts on lapel pins made by Joe (Jmar) I was prompted to dig around and pull out one of mine.

This lapel pin is a simple AEF overseas chevron version, the pictured example with one chevron to denote the veteran served for one six month period of overseas duty. I have seen one, two, and three chevron versions of these pins. I do not know if they ever made them with four or more chevrons, if anyone does then let me know.

a1.jpg a2.jpg

If anyone has the other versions please feel free to post them here.

RC

RC,

Very cool button! I have never seen one like this. Thanks for posting your example!

With you and Joe showing such great buttons, you have sparked my interest in another area of collecting!

...Kat

I have the one and three chevron versions. I have not seen a four or five chevron version. Here is the three chevron version of mine. Thanks, Al.

post-12790-0-89734800-1386109603.jpg

post-12790-0-45422500-1386109611.jpg

Hi RC!

Great thread, exactly what I was picturing when you mentioned this style earlier. Thank you for starting it! Some beautiful examples here!

Best wishes to you always,

Joe

I'm sorry, this looks like a discharge lapel. Amusingly enough, the OS stripe on his uniform actually points up.

That is a nice example! Yes, the WWI USN overseas stripes pointed upwards, while the Army's pointed down. B)

RC

Hi RC!

Great thread, exactly what I was picturing when you mentioned this style earlier. Thank you for starting it! Some beautiful examples here!

Best wishes to you always,

Joe

Hi Joe,

I am glad you posted your buttons, it has made me really stop to appreciate the fine work that went into them.

Regards,

RC

• 1 year later...

I found this today while looking for something else:

From the Army-Navy Register, February 1919. As can be seen, there were some who found even this little lapel button to be offensive to those who had not served overseas, or whose overseas time was more than others.

feb1919army.jpg

Text:

AGAINST "SERVICE BUTTONS"

[Camp Dix Times.]

There is the button for six months' overseas service. This is an enameled red, white, and blue affect, with a gold chevron and the letters A.E.F. If fortune kept you in the stirring scenes of home cantonments, you are entitled to a similar button, minus the gold chevron, and the letters U.S.A. substitueted for A.E.F. A similar scheme with inverted chevrons is carried out for sailors.

This paper cannot condemn too strongly the perpetuating of individious distinctions among ex-soldiers.To the plea of the enterprising New York newspaper for "all the publicity possible in connection with these chevron buttons," we urge all our readers steadfastly to ignore upon discharge all these unauthorized insignia, and in this case "stigma".

It is greatly to be hoped that a grateful Government will legislate all such unauthorized buttons off the lapels of America's citizen soliders. If we are to wear any token of our service, may it be some common symbol. Let it not attempt to evaluate service rendered, nor brand the unfortunate for the rest of their natural lives."

Believe it or not the subject of overseas stripes was a topic that divided members of the Army in 1919 and later. In contrast to the above editorial (posted in reply #12) is this letter submitted to the Army-Navy Register in March 1919, simply signed 'A.E.F.':

rosechevrons.jpg

Whereas the editorial was against making any distinctions, the writer of the above letter actually is a staunch proponent of just that. Even going as far as suggesting that combat veterans be recognized over non-combat veterans.

In a speech given by New Jersey Senator Frelinghuyson, he recites the following rhyme entitled "A BADGE OF DISAPPOINTMENT":

"Darling, here's your soldier bold!

Silver stripes instead of gold

Shine upon his sleeve today.

'Cause he did not sail away.

But, my darling, do not bleat.

For he did not get cold feet;

Simply did as he was told;

Silver stripes instead of gold."

As the editorial in post #12 shows us, not even private purchase lapel buttons were exempt from the debate!

RC

world war I nerd

Somehow I missed this post the first time around. I'm glad it resurfaces as I had started a folder in which I was gathering images of all the junk that Doughboys pinned onto their overseas cap for a potential future post. Anyway a number od those items were misc. AEF themed lapel type pins including those with service chevrons.

I'm pretty sure that this 3rd Division Doughboy is wearing an enamel pin on his cap that displays the total number of service chevrons he accumulated during the war.

post-5143-0-81028600-1418972486.jpg

world war I nerd

Here's an interesting group composed of a lapel pin worn by an individual who was exempt from service, a different type of enameled service chevron pin, and a war mother pin.

post-5143-0-29190500-1418972821.jpg

world war I nerd

I'm pretty sure that each of these soldiers from the 26th, 32nd and 82nd Divisions are wearing a pin which represented the division with which they served.

post-5143-0-69845000-1418972951.jpg