ARVN Camo and Jungle Jacket

anelles

Just picked this pair up at a local surplus store. I'm guessing this is an ARVN camo jacket? First one I've ever found. I also found this jungle jacket in the store as well, named to the same soldier. Looks like both have some locally made insignia. Can anyone shed some more light on these for me? I've never encountered a Tay Ninh tab before.

Got the pair for about $50 total, probably would have paid that for the jungle jacket alone since it's nicely patched and in fairly good shape.

They had a few sets of OG107 utilities named to the same soldier, but with no shoulder insignia, price was like $80 for each set, passed on those.

Thanks.

arvnjj001.jpgarvnjj002.jpgarvnjj003.jpgarvnjj004.jpgarvnjj005.jpgarvnjj006.jpgarvnjj007.jpg

Cool to see a civilian hunting shirt that has incountry mods and patches .

owen

Didn't even consider that it might have been a civi camo jacket, makes sense. What are the differences between one and a locally produced ARVN camo jacket? I saw some online similar to this labeled as ARVN.

No tags or markings of any kind on this one.

Thanks for the insight!

Owen is our resident expert on camo, and I hesitate to disagree with him.

But I am not sure that this is a civilian hunting shirt. Those large pockets are more along the pattern of the mid-1950's HBT shirts. If I recall the civilian hunting shirts that Owen is thinking of, they had more of a flat patch pocket. Plus there is no sign of a commercial tag in the collar. This also has the flat Asian style buttons.

Keep in mind one could have just about anything made up over there during the wartime period.

The patches are good, however. If this is a civilian shirt, it may have been made for parade purposes after the war.

Very good that you got them together.

Gil ,

You can see above the bottom helm line where the old flat pockets have been removed leaving small holes.

Looking at the pocket flap you can see different stitching indicating different application.

The buttons are US 50s.

This is a copy of the ARVN copy of the US WW2 cammo shirt.

owen

Gil ,

You can see above the bottom helm line where the old flat pockets have been removed leaving small holes.

Looking at the pocket flap you can see different stitching indicating different application.

The buttons are US 50s.

owen

Very interesting, thanks for the insight. So, I'm guessing this means it's a civilian shirt that the soldier brought to Vietnam and had modified in country? Was this common? What time frame would you guess this is from? Early 70's?

I second the civilian camo opinion - note that the material appears to be ripstop. However, I don't remember ever seeing another civilian hunting shirt with full theater-made insignia before so it's a pretty uncommon item. I'd say you found a pretty cool group.

Gil ,

owen

Now that is different. I'll go with your call.