canteens, canteens, canteens!

oldabewla

• 11 months later...

Great thread, very informative. Attached are pics from a recent pick up. My question is: Was it common for British made canteen carriers to not have the US stamp on the front? Or is mine just washed out? I don't have NVG to see if there are any residual markings unseen to the naked eye. Thanks, Al.

post-12790-0-58905600-1416162692.jpg

post-12790-0-02313900-1416162715.jpg

post-12790-0-35956800-1416162734.jpg

I think it's normal, Al. Who's the maker?

I have a BM canteen cover with US on it written in pen. I've always wondered if it's original, but I guess it could have been done by a scout or something too...

Maker is MECo

206yhqp.jpg

Hello ken88. The maker is M.W.&S. LTD. Martin Wright & Sons, LTD. The light colored areas on the front of the carrier where the US would be are wear spots from the canteen cup handle base, where the handle is attached to the cup. When I got it, the cup was so tightly wedged in the carrier that I had difficulty in removing it. The canteen is a S.M. Co. 1944. The cup is an A.G.M. Co. 1945, aluminum with a steel handle. It also has a rolled edge which I thought was done away with earlier in the War because it retained heat that burned the lips. Thanks, Al.

• 6 years later...

Help! Need any information on this cover. It’s a miniature M1910 Collette Mfg cover dated 1944. One of the pictures you see the size compared to your regular M1910 cover. Been collecting for years and have never seen anything like this. Any information would be appreciated as I have searched the internet for days and came up with nothing. Thanks, fellow history lovers!

112DBC71-7E60-4954-B70B-A69F6DC2B4F5.jpeg

39DB48B1-D22E-40CD-AF15-AEE1A5E6381C.jpeg

3609B981-8F93-49E0-9DDF-C3FEA168D58B.jpeg

BE2D18CA-6662-4B42-8517-59AF2D8F508E.jpeg

53A9546A-2512-48B0-8C26-4F42BFCFCEC2.jpeg

Brian Keith

Interesting, the snap hanger is obviously added later. Looks to me like it the back seam and bottom was disassembled and resewn smaller for some reason. Do the seams from the inside look "factory"?

BKW

3 minutes ago, Brian Keith said:

Interesting, the snap hanger is obviously added later. Looks to me like it the back seam and bottom was disassembled and resewn smaller for some reason. Do the seams from the inside look "factory"?

BKW

Yes, the inside seams look factory just like your standard M1910 does. The thought crossed my mind that someone took some covers apart to make a smaller cover but this doesn’t look “handmade” or put together. 

19 minutes ago, Brian Keith said:

BKW

I should also mention that this came from an estate of a gentleman who was enlisted at the end of WW2 in the Navy. He later went on to be a pilot in the Korean War and taught combat training after the war at Fort Benning. 

BILL THE PATCH

Awe... Ain't it cute. Maybe being a pilot he had one made small to fit better in the cockpit While flying? Thinking out load that's all

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

42 minutes ago, mikie said:

Now that is just plain strange. Does this mean there is a miniature canteen out there somewhere? 

Mikie

That’s what I’m wondering. I’ve seen and own enough canteen covers to be able to tell that this really doesn’t look like a civilian tampered cover. Very much looks manufactured. Has everything that standard cover does and the stitching too. So if this was manufactured then there had to be something that would go in it, right? 

14 minutes ago, BILL THE PATCH said:

Awe... Ain't it cute. Maybe being a pilot he had one made small to fit better in the cockpit While flying? Thinking out load that's all

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Maybe but I would think this gentleman would have had some pull to be able to make that kind of special request with Collette Mfg? 

Doctorofwar
4 minutes ago, Alyx07 said:

So were those flasks a thing during the war? 

I’m not sure of the history behind them, all the pilots flasks I’ve seen have been OD plastic and dated relatively recently. Not sure if there was a metallic one issued that pre dated the plastic variety, or if this pilot carried a civilian flask.  Either way I have never seen a miniature canteen cover like yours- it was just a thought that came to me when you said it came from a pilot’s estate, and looking at the size of the item. 

1 hour ago, Doctorofwar said:

I’m not sure of the history behind them, all the pilots flasks I’ve seen have been OD plastic and dated relatively recently. Not sure if there was a metallic one issued that pre dated the plastic variety, or if this pilot carried a civilian flask.  Either way I have never seen a miniature canteen cover like yours- it was just a thought that came to me when you said it came from a pilot’s estate, and looking at the size of the item. 

Yeah, I just looked up the flasks too and noticed they all plastic haha. I appreciate your thoughts though. 

• 1 month later...

I was at an estate sale and saw a ratty looking 1910 cover on a table. Inside was a very nice 1945 dated A G M Co. canteen and near mint cup with the same date and manufacturer. Nothing on the cover was readable and it is heavily stained with the interior batting coming loose. I've never seen the style of carrier hook that this has. Instead of the tradition hook for the M1923 belt this has a polygonal shaped loop. What is this one's purpose?

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Browninggunner688

Collette Manufacturing Company 1945. Common maker for covers, I have several, the earliest one I have is 1942.

The belt loop is not the standard hook, looks Bubba made or boy scout made, not military I would say. I have over 150 covers in my collection, made by different manufacturers and different dates and I have never seen this loop before.

Looks like you got a complete 1945 dated set minus the correct M1910 belt hook.

Nick.

Well, this was $15 at a weekend flea market and I had to buy it, if only to gain an education. No canteen but the cup was marked "Ingersoll Products" and undated. It was named to "Maj Roberts" as is the cover. So, what do I have here? The leather is perfect. The rivets are flawless with only the slightest verdigris beginning to form. The clip is a dog collar marked with a square and "69" instead of the spring clip usually seen on dismounts. I can't read the stamping on the back so dating isn't possible to me but you can make out the name.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

pararaftanr2

Looks like an M-56 cover (dome snaps, nylon edge tape, rear webbing for ALICE clips) that someone modified by adding straps fashioned after a mounted canteen. Could be for any civilian use, like camping, Boy Scouts, horseback riding, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/10/2021 at 12:38 AM, pararaftanr2 said:

Looks like an M-56 cover (dome snaps, nylon edge tape, rear webbing for ALICE clips) that someone modified by adding straps fashioned after a mounted canteen. Could be for any civilian use, like camping, Boy Scouts, horseback riding, etc.

The nomenclature on the back identified is as best as I can read, "COVER WATER MOUNTED". Definitely not any kind of USGI strapping anyone I've spoken with has ever seen and the dog collar clip. I guess this is the way Major Roberts wanted it set up since it and the cup are named to him.

It most likely reads "COVER WATER CANTEEN" which every nylon trim M56 canteen cover in my collection reads. 

Never seen an M56 cover marked "mounted" 

Browninggunner688

Some where there is a few threads regarding canteens and covers on here, it's under water carriers if I recall.

Nick.

• 4 weeks later...
Jake Zenger

I'm new to collecting and am still learning. For some reason it seems that most canteens I see for sale are usually dated 1945. Are earlier ones typically harder to find or am I just not looking in the right places? Thanks in advance for your help.