Question on USMC PUC..?

digi-shots

Sorry if this question has been asked before...

If a WWII USMC veteran was with a unit that was awarded a Presidental Unit award, would his PUC ribbon have one star or none?

The reason I ask... I've always thought that the veteran would be awarded the ribbon for his FIRST unit award, and get a "star" for each additional award a unit in which he served was awarded.

I was just reading up on IRA HAYES and found this info:

The list of the Corporal's decorations and medals includes the Commendation Ribbon with "V" combat device, Presidential Unit Citation with one star (for Iwo Jima), Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal with four stars (for Vella Lavella, Bougainville, Consolidation of the Northern Solomons, and Iwo Jima), American Campaign Medal, and the World War II Victory Medal.

The article mentions Presidential Unit Citation with one star and mentions IWO JIMA in particular.

To me, this means every PUC should have a star (???). If not, what event did IRA HAYES earn his 1st PUC?

Thanks!

"If a WWII USMC veteran was with a unit that was awarded a Presidental Unit award, would his PUC ribbon have one star or none?"

Members of the 4th Marine Regiment that fought battles of Bataan and Corregidor were awarded the Army DUC/PUC w/OLC.

According to guideines all reciients of the Citation are entitled the BSM.

Robert

Hello,

To answer your question, yes, during WWII a first award of the Navy Presidential Unit Citation (PUC) would have been the ribbon with a single star on it. There are several interesting threads on the forum about the Navy PUC and some of the confusing issues about the awarding of it.

Semper Fi,

Bruce Linz

"If a WWII USMC veteran was with a unit that was awarded a Presidental Unit award, would his PUC ribbon have one star or none?"

Members of the 4th Marine Regiment that fought battles of Bataan and Corregidor were awarded the Army DUC/PUC w/OLC.

According to guideines all reciients of the Citation are entitled the BSM.

Robert

Does this answer the question about the Navy/USMC PUC? Are the OLC/Star regulations compatible?

Thanks for the clarification.. and yes to me, the PUC's can be confusing.

The veteran that I'm researching was with the 6th Marines when they first landed at Okinawa and the whole division was awarded the PUC.

I've read confusing discussions about the awards (both Army vs. Navy/USMC).... some can be worn only if still attached to the unit, and other discussions saying that only if you were with the unit when it was first awarded; if transferred into the unit after the award - you could still wear it but when you transferred out, you had to remove it... very confusing.

Thanks again, I think I've got this particular situation cleared up!

Hi,

The 6th Marine Division should never be referred as the 6th Marines, which is a Marine Regiment is the 2nd Marine Division. Your man spent time with the 29th Marines (29th Marine Regiment) and later transferred to Headquarters Battalion, 6th Marine Division. Which by the way is where one of the places I would expect to find an intelligence school trained Marine. The 4th Marines were re-established in February 1944 and were part of 6th MarDiv (i.e. 6th Marine Division).

Bruce

Yes I came to the conclusion after reading so many Iwo Jima vet service records and other discussion and threads here that the first award was a ribbon and single star (sometimes a blue star) with future awards denoted by another star.

Good luck!

Leonardo