WWII USN MEYER METAL AVIATOR WINGS

BEAST

I've been looking to restore a WWII Navel aviator's jacket and need a pair of wings. This weekend at the local flea market, I found these for a fair price.

I didn't (and still don't) know much about wings, especially USN wings, but I think I bought a better pair than I originally knew. After looking through the threads here, it seems that Meyer Metal wings are harder to find, and this may be an pre- to early WWII version as they don't have the "berries." This pair also has an open "C" clasp. However, it also appears that Meyer wings, while harder to find, are not as expensive as other manufacturers.

The wings had some corrosion on them, but on a uniform, it will be hard to tell. I would appreciate others input on these and please feel free to correct me if the conclusions that I have drawn from the threads are mistaken. By the way, I'm still learning the macro settings on my camera, so the shots are not as clear as I would like.

Thanks for looking!

post-203-0-55445500-1385908798.jpg

post-203-0-07773300-1385908808.jpg

post-203-0-52090500-1385908817.jpg

Nice wings. My guess would be mid 20's. Too bad about the corrosion. Technically to be period- correct, your wings are too early for a WWII jacket! Cool find nonetheless...

Nice wings. My guess would be mid 20's. Too bad about the corrosion. Technically to be period- correct, your wings are too early for a WWII jacket! Cool find nonetheless...

Thanks Josh! Mid-20's? I didn't think they were that early! You're right, they would be too early for the jacket I am trying to restore.

Description by Meyer on original boxes:

"Meyer Metal: Special alloy; same 18Kt. gold color throughout its thickness; no gold plating; not injured by polishing."

http://www.ww2wings.com/wings/btw/us/handleymeyergilbertwings.shtml

In looking back at the photo, the open "C" catch is also a sign of an early wing. I missed this clue earlier. Early to mid 1920s is where I would put this. Here is an attributed set to help confirm the style and hallmark of the period. Both the Meyer Metal and shield are stamped.

Great wing!

Could we see some better pictures of this badge.....there appears to be some flaws that are hard to attribute. There are some areas that make me think that this is a casting........Would love to see a clear image of the reverse.

Will,

There is corrosion on the wings, I think those are the flaws that you are seeing. In any event, here is a photo of the reverse.

post-203-0-31785400-1386028901.jpg

http://www.ww2wings.com/wings/btw/us/handleymeyergilbertwings.shtml

In looking back at the photo, the open "C" catch is also a sign of an early wing. I missed this clue earlier. Early to mid 1920s is where I would put this. Here is an attributed set to help confirm the style and hallmark of the period. Both the Meyer Metal and shield are stamped.

Great wing!

Thank you!

I saw that Flying Tiger militaria also had a pair of these that recently sold. Interesting how the markings are in different locations. http://www.flyingtigerantiques.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=fta&Product_Code=z99usnw90002m&Category_Code=

post-203-0-33951700-1386029319.jpg

post-203-0-05496500-1386029338.jpg