WWI? wool star insignia help requested

ed101

Found this one in a box of WWII patches. I thought it might be WWI Coast artillery but I can't match it up. Any one ever see one of these? Is it even military? Thanks in advance.

Picture_1953.jpg

Picture_1954.jpg

My monitor shows it as a faded dark color (black or blue). But it appears that the thread is brown which wouldn't go with dark blue or black.

Any one ever see one of these? Is it even military?

Picture_1953.jpg

Picture_1954.jpg

"Insignia to denote excellence. Army Specialized Training Program....On an olive-drab disk, a blue star 1 inch in diameter." (para. 29, AR 600-35, 31 March 1944). Worn when earned on the left sleeve of the service coat, 4 inches above the cuff. (para 63, AR 600-40, 31 March 1944).

I have seen a star like this one on early (1930's) military school uniforms.

Similar cloth star disks of various colors, usually worn on the right coat sleeve cuff, have been shown on ROTC and military academy uniforms ca. 1930s at the Forum several times...link here, here, here, here (and you can fish for more using the Forum search tool).

"Insignia to denote excellence. Army Specialized Training Program....On an olive-drab disk, a blue star 1 inch in diameter." (para. 29, AR 600-35, 31 March 1944). Worn when earned on the left sleeve of the service coat, 4 inches above the cuff. (para 63, AR 600-40, 31 March 1944).

I think Wailuna hit the nail on the head!!! It is OD wool. I thought thqat the color would be obvious, forgot about the difference in monitors.

My Thanks to all that responded!!! What a wealth of knowlege resides here!!