Clipped wing with Ball & Chain

LuftStalg1

Picked up this clipped wing earlier this year. This is my first "Ball & Chain" type. It has the bombardier, navigaor, and pilot mixed shield. May also includ the Air Crew but to hard to tell. No gunner though. Really happy to add this to my little collection.

post-15093-0-57497700-1385850458.jpg

Picked up this clipped wing earlier this year. This is my first "Ball & Chain" type. It has the bombardier, navigaor, and pilot mixed shield. May also includ the Air Crew but to hard to tell. No gunner though. Really happy to add this to my little collection.

Reverse

post-15093-0-33002400-1385850496.jpg

I'm assuming this is a POW piece?

Sorry, yes. These lead wings were commonly made by POW's during there time in camp. One of many things they made to pass the time or trade for chocolate bars. : )

Great POW-made wing. My guess is it incorporates the Pilot/Nav/Bombardier insignia as it was made at an

Officier's Stalag so made it more appropriate to all prisoners. My 2-cents. Bobgee

Great POW-made wing. My guess is it incorporates the Pilot/Nav/Bombardier insignia as it was made at an

Officier's Stalag so made it more appropriate to all prisoners. My 2-cents. Bobgee

I think you nailed it Bob!

I guess that is the old problem of not seeing the forest for all the trees!? And it is going in my Stalag Luft 1 display so that will work perfectly.

Makes me think of the SL3 book "Clipped wings". I think it has something like this on the cover.

Thanks all, I am pretty happy to have picked it up!

Mark

• 1 year later...

Fantastic! This emblem Clipped Wings with ball and Chain was on several POW books, Stalag Luft III EX-POW Reunion Symbol, and they even made smaller versions for keepsakes at several EX-POW Reunions.

post-5232-0-59065700-1439961339.jpg

• 10 months later...