The ubiquitous Honorable Service Lapel Button aka Ruptured Duck

Impressive collection of Ruptured Duck patches Gary. I also collect Ruptured Duck patch variations and noticed the patch in the bottom right corner. Is that bullion? I found a bullion one at the SOS a couple of years ago but it has a few moth Japanese. Yours appears to be in great condition. Very difficult to find.

Beware of those Japanese Moths! :rolleyes:

This has been a really fun thread to watch. There have been some real rarities posted here!

Allan

I don't know where "Japanese" came from? I'm sure stranger things have happened here on the Forum but Japanese moths is certainly unique and pretty funny.

-Fritz

Obx,

There are certain words that are flagged and immediately changed when they are typed in to the text box. Besides changing profanity, it also changes potentially derogatory words and also words that are often times misused. So, when you typed in N I P, the computer took that as a potentially offensive word and changed it to the proper "Japanese." Do not ever type anything about that city in Rhode Island, as it will automatically change to "provenance," which I believe to be one of the lesser known suburbs.

Sometimes the changes can be darned funny- especially when referring to the damage that those moths do- you know, those Moth Japanese.

Allan

Impressive collection of Ruptured Duck patches Gary. I also collect Ruptured Duck patch variations and noticed the patch in the bottom right corner. Is that bullion? I found a bullion one at the SOS a couple of years ago but it has a few moth Japanese. Yours appears to be in great condition. Very difficult to find.

-Fritz

Hi Fritz,

Yes it is a bullion Ruptured duck. It is the only loose bullion duck ia have ever seen. I have seen one other on a uniform at the SOS. I thought about buying the uniform just to get the patch!

Gary B

Gary,

You have a fantastic collection. I have never seen so many variations. Looks like you also have a lot of the division attachments. Thanks so much for showing your collection. Now I have to be on the lookout for these!

...Kat

Thanks Kat. I probably have another 100 plus pieces which are larger items like book ends, plaques, signs etc. They are quite a nice and "cheap" item to collect. Most of the items I had cost only a few dollars.

Gary B

• 6 months later...

Great thread. I recall WW2 vets wearing these lapel pins on suit coats well into the late 50s. Not every man served in WW2. Those that did wore these as a mark of pride and service and to say, "I was there." Bobgee

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I just got a second ruptured duck that has the branch of service. I now have one with WACS and one with Air Corps.

Does anyone else have any others with the service attached?

P1010955.JPG

P1010956.JPG

ocsfollowme

I just got a second ruptured duck that has the branch of service. I now have one with WACS and one with Air Corps.

Does anyone else have any others with the service attached?

attachicon.gifP1010955.JPG

attachicon.gifP1010956.JPG

There are about 6-10 types of them. Be careful as these are mass produced as repros nowadays and they have about 20 types of them now saying all sorts of things.

There are about 6-10 types of them. Be careful as these are mass produced as repros nowadays and they have about 20 types of them now saying all sorts of things.

I can't believe they make repro ruptured ducks. They make repros of everything these days! :rolleyes:

Is there a list of original ones? Is this Air Corps one a repro? How can you tell the difference?

Thanks, Kat

ocsfollowme

The reason why they make repros, obviously, is because there is a market for them. We all know that, but let me explain. Every vet discharged was allowed to wear the ruptured duck, and they had too! Otherwise they would be seen as AWOL back in the states. So all of the vets loved them and nowadays, want to have one on their ball cap or hat. Originals with the branch of service can run $30 each and I am sure few with the branches were made. So repros are made to satisfy grandchildren getting a pin for their grandpa/ma with their branch on it.

Screwbacks are usually always original and not repro.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-WWII-USMC-RUPTURED-DUCK-DISCHARGE-PIN-SCREWBACK-MARINES-/121705244714?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c5632a82a

USMC BIN for $34.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ORIGINAL-WWII-USN-RUPTURED-DUCK-DISCHARGE-PIN-SCREWBACK-NAVY-/121705245445?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c5632ab05

Navy BIN for $34

The reason why they make repros, obviously, is because there is a market for them. We all know that, but let me explain. Every vet discharged was allowed to wear the ruptured duck, and they had too! Otherwise they would be seen as AWOL back in the states. So all of the vets loved them and nowadays, want to have one on their ball cap or hat. Originals with the branch of service can run $30 each and I am sure few with the branches were made. So repros are made to satisfy grandchildren getting a pin for their grandpa/ma with their branch on it.

Thanks for the explanation. I knew the repro ones were for the market to sell. I just can't believe how many items are now repro. It was more of a rolling of my eyes than a "what the heck". :)

...Kat

I saw a ruptured duck with Navy Cross, Purple Heart and Asiatic-Pacific campaign sell last year on auction for around $50-$60...so I'd say $100 is a bit high

Hey Brig, by any chance did you save a pic of that one? Would love to see it if you did.

I don't think I did

I think I have a photo saved of that purple heart duck. Here is one that I found real quick.

These are some great ones you have added. If these sell for $50 - $100 then I can see why some people would fake them. I had no idea some sold for this much.

Thanks for the pictures....Kat

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...