The ubiquitous Honorable Service Lapel Button aka Ruptured Duck

The most unworn badge in history. I have never seen a WW2 vet ever wear one .

W

Hello WM!

I hope you're doing well. Not easy to find a pic for sure, but when you see one it's humbling. I love the photo of this proud old warrior.

My best to you always,

Joe

post-48324-0-88616100-1387835145.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi Mike,

Thank you for adding your pics, I really enjoy seeing other members collections. The Meyers are VERY nice and not easy to find! I also like the one you have with the "acorn" style screw-back, the eagle has a long wingspan...beautiful! I also like the one with the "geared tooth" screw-back, that reminds me of the German occupation made attachments like the lucite ribbon bars.

As for the one I have with the nut. I like seeing vet modified items. It looks like the post had broken and quite a while back (with the oxidation evident) a vet repaired his device. There is nothing else remarkable about it, just someone's ingenuity!

Thank you again for your interest in my thread and for taking the time to add to it.

Best to you!

Joe

I saw this thread and remembered I had a couple of these and when I took a look I noticed it had a maker's mark: is this the Meyer mark on the back of my ruptured duck? Are these more 'valuable' and if so, what kind of proportional value is on them? e.g. a little, a lot? thanks

post-30395-0-44866100-1392855442.jpg

Have followed with interest the thread on Ruptured Ducks. I knew I had an unusual variety tucked away someplace and finally found it this afternoon. The "Duck" is silver with a screw back. Added to the badge are six overseas stripes, which is what makes it interesting.

post-14361-0-54992600-1392870612.jpg

I wonder if they were worn, but fell out of style - Perhaps they were worn heavily in the years immediately following the war but gradually the vets stopped wearing them. As weird as it sounds, has anyone ever interviewed a vet and asked if he wore his lapel button?

Kyle

After WW2, most every young man was a veteran. There was no reason to make it known by wearing a badge, everyone in the community knew who their vets. were. To include WW1 and Korea.

Veterans also understood that men working in war industry also did very valuable work, even if they were not in the service.

I think vets. were/are far more likely to wear their American Legion, VFW or DAV pins.

W

Stinger Gunner USMC

Here are my ducks and other discharge lapels that have come my way over the years. top two rows are standard ducks which require a lapel hole. The third row at right are screw/pin varieties and both my silver colored are screw/pin style as well. one of my Screw back is marked 10k.

post-1672-0-11063500-1393803531.jpg

There was a USMC version of the Ruptured duck made by at least one manufacturer. The design consisted of a standard Ruptured Duck with an enameled USMC banner beneath the duck. There were at least 2 companies that made the enameled bannered versions of the Ruptured Duck.

Gary B

I saw this thread and remembered I had a couple of these and when I took a look I noticed it had a maker's mark: is this the Meyer mark on the back of my ruptured duck? Are these more 'valuable' and if so, what kind of proportional value is on them? e.g. a little, a lot? thanks

The pin back versions are for females. Harder to find than the standard button hole version.

Gary B

How about some of these? The duck has a single screw post on the back and they have a brass hanger with an enameled SSI design on the front. I wonder how many units exist?

Allan

post-151-0-53616800-1394676787.jpg

Most of these unit ID pendants came "attached" to Ruptured Ducks manufactured by the Fox Company. They pendants came in a large variety of units to include USAAF, Infantry divisions and command level elements. I recall seeing these occasionally at shows in the mid 90s with many different units represented. I have not seen one at a show for years.

Once I get my camera fixed I will need to post some of my RD collection. I had, at last count, over 200 variations of pins, patches, tie clips, cuff links, ear rings, plaques, bookends, cigarette lighters etc.

Gary B

How about some of these? The duck has a single screw post on the back and they have a brass hanger with an enameled SSI design on the front. I wonder how many units exist?

Allan

Allan,

That is a VERY nice one. I have never seen any with these hangers.

...Kat

Gary,

You have a fantastic collection. I have never seen so many variations. Looks like you also have a lot of the division attachments. Thanks so much for showing your collection. Now I have to be on the lookout for these!

...Kat

Great topic. Never thought that there were so many variations. Here is one that I have. Marked 1/20 12K GF. But these 69 year old eyes can't make out the maker's mark. Best I can describe is it looks like a triangular A with lettering on the outside of the up and down sides. Enjoy! Thanks, Al.

post-12790-0-33673800-1395065243.jpg

post-12790-0-02646000-1395065264.jpg

post-12790-0-94577900-1395065276.jpg

5th tray patches

Impressive collection of Ruptured Duck patches Gary. I also collect Ruptured Duck patch variations and noticed the patch in the bottom right corner. Is that bullion? I found a bullion one at the SOS a couple of years ago but it has a few moth nips. Yours appears to be in great condition. Very difficult to find.

-Fritz

Impressive collection of Ruptured Duck patches Gary. I also collect Ruptured Duck patch variations and noticed the patch in the bottom right corner. Is that bullion? I found a bullion one at the SOS a couple of years ago but it has a few moth Japanese. Yours appears to be in great condition. Very difficult to find.

Beware of those Japanese Moths! :rolleyes:

This has been a really fun thread to watch. There have been some real rarities posted here!

Allan