Post-War Veteran Modified or Field Modified?

Jungle Rot

Bought this K98 Bayonet yesterday and found that it had been modified into a fighting knife. I've gotten conflicting opinions on whether it was captured by a vet and then modified after the war, if it was captured by a vet and modified for use in the war, or if it's a German-made modification. I know many veterans modified items they brought back with them after the war, in fact a neighbor showed me his dad's modified M1 bayonet from WWII, but I'm not sure who did this and why. Any insight?

photo37_zps3697fcb4.jpg

photo8_zpsbacfb008.jpg

Thanks,

Brent

The answer is "who knows". :lol:

Without having talked to the veteran himself, it's really anyone's guess. While it is "possible" that a German soldier could have made this into a boot knife, it is rather unlikely. Arms and equipment issued by the Reich was deemed "property of the Reich", and any sort of destruction of this property was forbidden. In England, arms and equipment of the Crown were deemed property of the King, and were not subject to modification (destruction). Of course, I'm sure it did happen.

More than likely, this was ground down by the soldier who captured it while he was in the service, but it's also possible that he, or someone other than him did this in their garage after the war. Without being able to ask the veteran how he came upon the knife, we'll really never know.

• 1 month later...

I am guessing that picking up an extra on the battle field and modifying it was not that hard. I guess it could be either Axis or Allies who done the modification- Very intresting item though.