Found My Grandfathers WW2 5th Army Grid Map of Italy!

Morlok

I have been going through the last of my Grandfathers things & came across a folder marked "Army Service", tucked away between books on the shelf. This map was folded up for quite a long time. It measures 21x14.5 inches & is dated 25 Jan 1944. I know he was in North Africa & landed in Italy during the initial invasion. He went on through Cassino, France, the Bulge & continued until the end of the war in Europe. I am not sure if he carried this while in Italy or if he picked it up later. Either way, I was pleasantly surprised & will have it framed!! I hope you enjoy!!

post-67213-0-63433900-1385785171.jpg

Wow! Cool! Any markings??

-Nick

He has a few pencil lines on it & a few cities marked in pen. His name is written on the back with the same pen, so I am 90% sure he carried this in Italy. I tried to capture them in a photo, but I will have to wait for natural light. My camera isn't that great!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I have this map I bought on ebay. My copy is fragile and has wear, maybe from being in a dirty map case. I bought it on eBay and the Seller sent it with the original tube that supposedly the Vet marked "map taken from a German prisoner".

In my opinion this is a simple road map that identified the major roads between towns. It is not perfectly to scale.

Close-up of the 5th Army issued Road Map

post-3558-0-70694000-1423373932.jpg

• 2 weeks later...