5th RCT SSI Variations

Robswashashore

Robswashashore

Of the three 5th RCT variations (plain red pentagon, pentagon with crossed rifles, pentagon with lightening bolt) what are the time frames for the use of each?

Thanks for your expertise!

Jean

The Korean War period only, around 1951 mostl likely 1952 to I gather sometime in late 1953, prior to the 5th RCT going to the war zone, the unit was in Hawaii and wore the U.S. Army Pacific patch, the old WWII Pacific Oceans Area patch, but did use as a helmet and liner marking the Red Pentagon symbol.

There is more info on the ones with the designs on them, others will know.

patchtrader864

Hi Jean

1st one plain red white border march 52 --- oct 57

2d one with crossed rifles 52--53 ( unauthorized )

3d one 52--53 communication ( unauthorized )

From Barry Stein book .Paul

Hi Jean

1st one plain red white border march 52 --- oct 57

2d one with crossed rifles 52--53 ( unauthorized )

3d one 52--53 communication ( unauthorized )

From Barry Stein book .Paul

That Oct 1957 date would be wrong I'm thinking as the entire 5th Infantry was reassigned to the reactivated 71st Infantry Division on 10 October 1954, it was with the 71st Div for a little less then 2 years when it was reassigned to the 8th Infantry Division on, 1 September 1956, in both these cases the 5th Infantry was no longer a separate Regimental Combat Team and would wear the shoulder patches of their parent divisions. Perhaps Stein which has alot of dates off, meant Oct 54.

Stein's book is in error (again). The 5th was stationed in Germany 1956-59 (with two battalions released and returned to CONUS per that pentomic battle group reorganization in 58).

German-made fully emboridered examples of the crossed riflles and lightning bolts exist from that 1956 - ca. 1959 time frame. However, I don't have either of them.

There are also variations with the red 5th RCT pentagon with crossed cannons and another with an Engineer castle. Rare birds indeed. We have the crossed cannons, but not the Engineer castle.

PatchJohnson

Stein's book is in error (again). The 5th was stationed in Germany 1956-59 (with two battalions released and returned to CONUS per that pentomic battle group reorganization in 58).

German-made fully emboridered examples of the crossed riflles and lightning bolts exist from that 1956 - ca. 1959 time frame. However, I don't have either of them.

Would you know for what purpose these German made examples were made for? The 5th Inf was no longer a Separate RCT after it was reassigned to the 71st Inf Div at Fort Lewis, here they wore the 71st Inf Div shoulder patch, like wise when they were in the 8th Inf Div, Afterwards the 1st BG was in the 1st Inf Div, the 2nd BG in the 9th Inf Div, and the 3rd BG was comprised of Reservists and a part of the 94th Inf Div in Massachussets. As an aside, I have a fatique Shirt that from the 5th Inf, 71st Div, the 71st Div patch and the White Shield 5th Inf Pocket patch is sewn on it.

After further studying the 5th RCT in Korea War, I gather the White bordered Red Pentagon patch was adopted after it became a separate RCT when it was relived from assignment to the 24th Inf Div, the 5th RCT was assigned to the 24th Inf Div when it's destroyed 34th Inf Regt was disbanded an broken up for replacments to other Inf Regts in late August 1950 the 5th RCT to include it's attachments was slotted in. As we know the 24th Inf Div was withdrawn from Combat in Korea and sent to Japan in early 1952, the 5th RCT remained as a once again seperate RCT, here I believe the patch was adopted based on the pre Korean War Red Pentagon smybol used on unit liners

• 1 year later...

I have one that I think is original

post-51748-0-17134900-1437956075.jpg