HD Gas Can

Texas36th

I have one of these cans also and always understood it was a Chemical Mine to dispense mustard gas. The HD designation stands for Distilled Mustard Gas. Fill it with the chemical liquid, attach a cylindrical detontator/burster to the back of mine and you have an effective way to disperse the liquid into a mist and create a mustard barrier. The two wires soldered to the back were used to attach the detonator/burster to the mine when planted. I am pretty sure these mines are WWII era and of course were never used during the war, so are still around for collectors.

Bob

Bob, I have had my can, which is identical to Texas36ths example, for more than 20 years. Do you think they were reproduced that long ago??

Bob

Here is an image from the web of what I believe is a reproduction version of this HD Chemical mine. Notice how the soldering of the two wires on the back is messy and the solder has flowed along the wires. My mine is identical the one owned by Texas36th where the solder is substantial and in two nice neat blobs on the wires.

Bob

post-299-0-16407000-1386175714.jpg

These might be WWII vintage.....BUT, I will say this marking style says 50's all over to me. This is one of those nasty things trained on and fielded when jeeps could launch atomic weapons.