AN-6513 & AN-6513-1 QAC Parachute Packs

Blue Leader

Hi,

What are the differences between the AN-6513 and the AN-6513-1 packs ? The two square packs have the same reference number AN-42N2004-3.

A noticeable difference between these two packs is the replacing of the web housing of the rip cord pulling ring by a green elastic band on the AN-6513-1 pack. The elastic band must keep in place the pulling ring, flat to the pack.
Is it a real carachteristic between the 2 packs ? and if yes, the only difference ?

AN-65136513c-10.jpg

AN-6513-1an-65110.jpg

AN-6513 upgraded to AN-6513-1 with adjonction of a piece of black elastic webbing (same as suspenders of leather flying trousers).

The pack was re-stamped AN-6513-1. We also observe this modification on parachutes AN-6513-1A and A-3.

an-65111.jpg

an-65112.jpg

Mathieu

• 9 months later...
aviationphotog

Hey Mathieu,

Do you have any photos of the backside of your packs shown here? I'm trying to restore one (came with missing bungee cords, rip cord and handle, and the harness hooks one the back) and I just can't seem to find any good photos of the backside of these particular oversized squarish packs. Do yours have the somewhat hard backing to them as well?

aviationphotog

Thank you! I really appreciate it!

You wouldn't happen to know what those little connector pieces (the 'eyes'?) for the bungee cords are call do you? The look like little Mickey Mouse shapes. I'm missing two on the parachute pack, so I'll have to figure out where in the world to get ahold of those.

• 5 months later...

I think I might have found a possible answer to the difference. I am reading through some documents from early 1943 and it discusses the QAC packs being of the new light weight 24' nylon canopy reducing the weight to 8.65 pounds from the previous weight of 13 pounds. So I think the difference is within the canopy that is utilized.

Blue Leader

Thank you Dusin for this information. This can explain also the change on the shape of the pack with the AN-6513-1A barrel pack instead of the AN-6513 square pack.

Mathieu

WWII Parachutist
I believe the canopy Dustin is referring to is the experimental 1943 ripstop canopies pioneered by Pioneer Parachute Company (no pun intended!). These were of lighter material and more compact suspension lines. These were issued in only limited experimental quantities and pulled from service in 1945, only to be redesigned and restated soon after.
You can find the simple elastic pocket on both the 6513 and 6513-1 pack trays. The elastic was the first pattern, the canvas pocket the second pattern. The first example you show of the Eagle AN6513 actually has the modified pocket. This particular one was done in the second wave of conversions.
One of the common differences is internal. Most of the early ones have a simple folded and sewn web strap for the retaining bands to be tied to. Later ones switched to webbing loops, onto which rubber bands could also be attached. This allowed it to be backed in the absence of rubber retaining bands. As I recall there are also some very slight pattern changes. Otherwise they are essentially the same.
The change in shape to the barrel pack is simply because the square AN6513 is so darn awkward and cumbersome. In terms of cubic inches, the AN6513-1A is actually slightly larger, which is why it is usually much easier to pack.

Joshua

• 4 years later...

Hello,

By the way -- ripstop fabric for the parachute canopies was not an American invention. The Soviets patented it in 1934.

Regards

Gregory

Thank you! I really appreciate it!

You wouldn't happen to know what those little connector pieces (the 'eyes'?) for the bungee cords are call do you? The look like little Mickey Mouse shapes. I'm missing two on the parachute pack, so I'll have to figure out where in the world to get ahold of those.

Google "Collar Hooks".

WWII Parachutist

By the way -- ripstop fabric for the parachute canopies was not an American invention. The Soviets patented it in 1934.

I guess I should say ripstop canopies in the USA were developed by Pioneer, I suppose other countries also developed similar designs.. I've been building up a small collection of the experimental ripstop parachutes from the US. I would love to compare them to the Soviet designs of that time. Do you have any other information on the Soviet type?

pararaftanr2

In fact, it is called a "hook-and-eye" closure and has been used on items of clothing since the 1300s. On the parachute packs, the "hook" is on the bungee and the "eye" is on the pack.

I guess I should say ripstop canopies in the USA were developed by Pioneer, I suppose other countries also developed similar designs.. I've been building up a small collection of the experimental ripstop parachutes from the US. I would love to compare them to the Soviet designs of that time. Do you have any other information on the Soviet type?

Hi Joshua,

The US ripstop could be an effect (delayed) of the US-Soviet cooperation. We have to remember that since 2nd quarter of 1929 both countries cooperated in the field of parachuting. The oldest Soviet parachute ripstop fabric patent I found so far has been described on November 11, 1934.