REPRO OR NOT

Neuron

Greetings Neuron,

I wholeheartedly concur with Bill. Fourth knife down from the top of Mr. Frank Trzaska's MkI 1918 Repro Page is shown compared with the knife in question. The handles' fonts match up exactly. It appears some grinding (polishing) work was done on the handle and then artificially aged to fool the unsuspecting. Blade's grind is wonky where it meets the ricasso too.

RUN AWAAAAAAYYYY!!!

Regards,

Lance

post-31352-0-11017400-1385539887.jpg

I actually cannot take credit for recognizing this fake. I checked out an earlier topic about this here on the Forum and that is what got me started. Thanks to all, especially Lance who was the lead in that past topic and was nice enough to take my offer on a real one, he even had it gold-plated for me! This is the most civil, helpful Forum I have been on.

Thanks again to all that responded.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but I am looking for one like this for a display in which my friend does not want to risk a real one. Really want one that has been "aged", somewhat rusty etc., don't want a pretty one. Don't need a scabbard. Main thing is must be pretty cheap, this will be for a hands on display program. If anyone knows of one in the range of $25 or so, please PM me.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but I am looking for one like this for a display in which my friend does not want to risk a real one. Really want one that has been "aged", somewhat rusty etc., don't want a pretty one. Don't need a scabbard. Main thing is must be pretty cheap, this will be for a hands on display program. If anyone knows of one in the range of $25 or so, please PM me.

I will forward this request to the OP selling it. He thinks it is real though. I sent him the results of this topic this AM and I am awaiting his response.

Hi,

Sorry to say but it is a repoduction. There are many of this type out in the market so just be careful when you buy one. Not enough markings on the handle as an original would also have L.F&C-1918 under the U.S. 1918 other then the AU LION one, plus the points on the knuckles would be sharper. The blade is not that good in the manner of the way it is ground and shaped at the ricasso. It's a decent copy for what it is. As with everything, it's up to the buyer what he wants to purchase, either an original or a repoduction as it all comes down to how much money you want to spend.

Bill

There is another category of these "reproduction" knuckle knives that should be mentioned. In the book "The Military Knife & Bayonet" by Homer Brett, he displays on page 320, what he refers to as an "inexpensive copy of the U.S. 1918 Mark I knife made in Japan in the mid to late 1960's" and he goes on to say, "the author sold many dozens of these to fellow soldiers and Marines on their way to Vietnam". I have two of these in my Vietnam collection and many times the grips were removed from the stainless steel blade and replaced with a Mark II blade or other type blades. Unless you purchase it from the Vet I guess it would be difficult to know for sure, but most of these 60's models have 50+ years of patina to the brass and are fairly easy to distinguish from a more recent knock-off. Perhaps other Vietnam knife collectors have examples in their collections.

This may or may not be a 1960's copy but the patina appears to not be artificial, someone abused the blade however?? It was obviously not carried as the texture of the grip is still very rough as compared to the smooth texture of the one with the long replaced blade.

post-93122-0-16557900-1385660388.jpg