Question re collar and shoulder badges on khakis.

BillM

Hi all,

We are attending a function over on Ford Island on Dec 7th commemorating the attack, and celebrating the US recovery and resurgence. It's called the "In Harm's Way" party, and it's a neighborhood event held every December by the military residents of Nob Hill, the old historic homes on Ford Island adjacent to the old Battleship Row, the Arizona Memorial, and USS Missouri.

Dress for the function is period uniforms, or equivalent civil attire. I decided to try to recreate an AAC/AAF staff officer, since this corps is the forefather of my own Service.

I've purchased a set of tropical khakis, with the various accessories and accouterments from WWII Impressions (my first excursion into the impression realm, but in my novice opinion very nice quality stuff).

Anyway....in researching period photos, I noticed that some officers wore their rank and corps pin on their collars with nothing on their shirt epaulets, while others wore the "US" and corps insignia on their collars with their rank pins on their epaulets.

Is there a correct way to wear these items, or did it change during the course of the war, or was it a matter of location? Appreciate any insights.

Here are two pics illustrating my question:

post-143019-0-42138400-1385520519.jpg

post-143019-0-50879400-1385520823.jpg

Pre '42 officers' rank was displayed on the shoulder straps whilst BOS and US insignia was displayed on the collar points. A change in the regulations led to the substituting of a single rank pin on the right collar point in place of the "US" and the dropping of the requirement for rank to be displayed on the shoulder straps of shirts henceforth.