Special Warfare Operator 1st Class Rate

VMI88

I truly despise The Parrot crows. The Coast Guard got to keep their real Eagles, why did we have to get hosed with this trash?

The question I have...if I was still on active duty, I would be buying up the genuine eagle badges and putting them on my uniforms. Would I get nabbed at inspection if I did this or is there some instruction that dictates that I have to wear this ugly thing?

Personally, I don't think any one would actually notice. I didn't notice when they came out! When I saw them, I thought they were some foreign made crap, and there was lots of it at the time, cheap Subic trash. After I joined this forum, I found out that they were the reg (and I actually went back and looked at my old uniforms, Sure enough, I had one on my dinner dress blues. My dress blues had an older one that looks like a Pterradactile. I talked to my sister (active duty CTICS) about this same thing. She says it would for sure be noticed and cause an issue. But, she is a shore duty type, they pay attention to that stuff.

Personally, I don't think any one would actually notice. I didn't notice when they came out! When I saw them, I thought they were some foreign made crap, and there was lots of it at the time, cheap Subic trash. After I joined this forum, I found out that they were the reg (and I actually went back and looked at my old uniforms, Sure enough, I had one on my dinner dress blues. My dress blues had an older one that looks like a Pterradactile. I talked to my sister (active duty CTICS) about this same thing. She says it would for sure be noticed and cause an issue. But, she is a shore duty type, they pay attention to that stuff.

I checked all my uniforms and I did find one of my Good Humor Man suits had one on the sleeve. Figures - I had it done up at NAVSTA Seattle's uniform shop when I was in my last year of duty at the brig...I'd packed on a few LBs and needed to increase the size...shore duty was killing my physique (this sailor was built for the sea). My stash of OS1 crows (I did advance on my final test cycle) were all non-parrot/non-pterodactyl‎ variety. My chambrays with the iron-transfers...some were parrots. All of my PI-embroidered dungarees were the goods (man, I loved my custom dungarees!!!).

I buck the trend and push the limits. I would have tested the waters with my old crows to see what I could get by with...and then walk it out from there.

That's what I was saying. No one really noticed nor cared when I was active, as long as there was something there. More than once I knew guys who had the wrong rate altogether, no one noticed that either for a while. This was mostly due to advancing during a cruise, correct rating badges not being available, so they just got ones that they thought were cool looking, as long as the number of sripes was corrcet. My sister is at a mega joint base near DC, where they get all wrapped up in that sort of thing. Shore people.

I am fairly certain the airdale community would not notice or even care!!

You'd think they would, because that's about the most un-aerodynamic looking bird you can imagine! ;)

Justin B.

"The closer you get to Washington, the deeper the ........."

Ain't that the truth. Funny how the same could be said about San Diego...however, it was a strange dichotomy with the location of SURFPAC, NAB Coronado and NASNI...seems that only the blackshoe navy got spun up about uniform specifics and minute details. 32nd street wasn't all that much different from NTC/RTC in that regard.

TreasureHunter

My NEX has new rate patches with bullion, anyone else seen that? I will buy one or order my rate and post it on here. Seems to me it would be easy to dirty it up and pass off as old. We had a HT2 show up to inspection with a female crow, let his wife do the shopping and sewing, boy did she screw him over. We never let him live that one down!

Treasurehunter, It has nothing to do with being dirty or "Old Looking". It is the design and style of the eagle. The eagles since about 1984 have NOT looked like eagles, but rather, something else with wings.

Here's my contribution to this thread of my beloved pieces, and a tribute to the fine men that wear these rating badges, a SEAL is a tough job

As nice as they can be, though it is a shame they aren't made of heavy sterling silver bullion. That would be impressive.

TreasureHunter

As nice as they can be, though it is a shame they aren't made of heavy sterling silver bullion. That would be impressive.

Thats what I saw at my exchange, the heavy wire bullion being used for rating patches, I will buy one tomorrow and post a picture. It looks very much like the bullion of old, very 3D. Check back tomorrow, sucks they dont have my rate but I might order one. We'll see.

TreasureHunter

Heres what I was taking about, sorry to hijack the thread. I have never seen any ratings made like this, maybe I just wasnt paying attention.

post-123772-0-48257700-1386789023.jpg

Looks to be in a Vanguard package...but clearly differs from the even uglier bullion ratings (that is one, sick bird...yuck!) on the Vangaurd site:
00000007386970_LRG.jpg
00000007387430_LRG.jpg

Heres what I was taking about, sorry to hijack the thread. I have never seen any ratings made like this, maybe I just wasnt paying attention.

attachicon.gif20131211_131933.jpg

Its heavy bullion, but from the photo doesn't look like its made of sterling silver, so unlikely to be confused for an older piece by an experienced collector. Bullion rates from the 1940s or 1950s would show at least some tarnish by now (I would think). The crow on a rate before 1941 would face the other way. Also, the bullion construction doesn't look like anything from my collection of 1940s and 1950s rates (I have about fifty). I'm relatively new to collecting bullion, so one of the more experienced may correct me.

I do like the heavier bullion thread like this. This type is from a time period where bullion was advancing but not quite at that tinsel time period yet. I would say 60s and 70s, especially judging by the fact that one of mine pictured below, the Aviation Maintenance Administrationman, did not come out until 1963

post-14426-0-69446200-1386813386.jpg

I believe what Treasure Hunter is saying is that the Navy Exchange is now carrying these crows for sale for use on current uniforms! At least for CPOs. If that is correct, that would be fantastic! Maybe not the .99999 silver bullion of days past, but at least not that ugly POS bird that has befouled oru rating badges for a generation.