M5 medical pack question

WWII_GI

I found this while liquidating my uncles house. I fund this pack along with two woodland camo heavy jackets, a Vietnam dated cold weather jacket and a WWII trench coat.

The pack was covers in dust and it had some medical supplies but none of it was military. I tried to wash it out but it's still dirty and dusty. From what I see it looks to have all it's straps but I does have several tears in it.

I tried researching it but all I found out is that is was a M5 pack and they were used in Vietnam. Is it vietnam era? Are these rare? What are the side straps for?

Thanks guys

-Steven

post-104606-0-95598900-1385513857.jpg

post-104606-0-14931900-1385513918.jpg

post-104606-0-84637400-1385513945.jpg

The stock number is after Vietnam. They were just a larger container for medical gear in the field. I believe they were used by the Airborne folks and could be attached to the harness. I'm sure there will be other guys who can pass on more info but this will get you started.

Not necessarily used only by Airborne. I was issued one while a Medical Platoon Leader in an Armor unit in the mid 80's (still have it) as were all my medics. We all packed ours to our own individual needs

Keith

Manchu Warrior

This is one I recently picked up at a yard sale. They had a pile of field jackets and BDU's and kinds of go kinds of odds and ends. I got all excited while digging through the pile. However, the young lady wanted $25 for each jacket and would not go any lower and $60 for a Kevlar helmet. I found the bag at the bottom of the pile and it was the best item and go figure she sold it to me for $10 and I was happy. Mine is dated 1991 and unfortunately it looks like yours has damage on the pouch where the DLA line should be. And for what ever reason they all seem to bring pretty decent money on ebay.

post-1412-0-80903600-1385565306.jpg

This is one I recently picked up at a yard sale. They had a pile of field jackets and BDU's and kinds of go kinds of odds and ends. I got all excited while digging through the pile. However, the young lady wanted $25 for each jacket and would not go any lower and $60 for a Kevlar helmet. I found the bag at the bottom of the pile and it was the best item and go figure she sold it to me for $10 and I was happy. Mine is dated 1991 and unfortunately it looks like yours has damage on the pouch where the DLA line should be. And for what ever reason they all seem to bring pretty decent money on ebay.

m5 bag 002.JPG

Nice deal! Yours looks to be in good condition.

I did see one on eBay with all it's contents, starting bid $150

they were issued in vietnam, and worn like a rucksack, with integral shoulder straps. the long side pocket could be used for board splints. i still use one today as my main bag for all my trips. they really hold a lot of supplies.

it fits like a camel back or hiking day bag, you simply put on your web gear and then attach your bag to the d rings and take the sternum strap and strap it across your chest. the sternum strap could also be clipped to the back of the aid bag to hold extra canteens and extra aid kit and what not.

Doc Howie