The 3 panel M1910 canteen cover

Pep

I have been trying to wrap my head around the evolution of the Model of 1910 canteen cover.

It seems the very early first production pattern covers with the turnbuckle fasteners were produced in two patterns.

The first is derived from the original prototypes, and was constructed from three body panels, the bottom, the front and the back.

This leaves a stitch seam on both sides of the cover body. I can only assume the three panel covers total production to be in the low hundreds as the pattern was changed to a two panel version.(the body and bottom) We know the turnbuckle fastener was replaced in late 1910 with the rimless eagle snap, but before that change the body was changed to a two piece pattern with turnbuckles. I have contacted the forum members that have these types of covers and found one of each that have been posted on the forum.

I was lucky enough or fast enough to grab this one...

post-2260-0-33459400-1385481786.jpg

I know it is a "dog" on condition but given the rarity of the pattern I was excited to include it in my collection.

If there are other examples in the forum community, please consider posting them here (even if posted before) to have a reference going forward.

I have been trying to wrap my head around the evolution of the Model of 1910 canteen cover.

It seems the very early first production pattern covers with the turnbuckle fasteners were produced in two patterns.

The first is derived from the original prototypes, and was constructed from three body panels, the bottom, the front and the back.

This leaves a stitch seam on both sides of the cover body. I can only assume the three panel covers total production to be in the low hundreds as the pattern was changed to a two panel version.(the body and bottom) We know the turnbuckle fastener was replaced in late 1910 with the rimless eagle snap, but before that change the body was changed to a two piece pattern with turnbuckles. I have contacted the forum members that have these types of covers and found one of each that have been posted on the forum.

I was lucky enough or fast enough to grab this one...

attachicon.gif2 pnl M10s.jpg

I know it is a "dog" on condition but given the rarity of the pattern I was excited to include it in my collection.

If there are other examples in the forum community, please consider posting them here (even if posted before) to have a reference going forward.

Some more pics...

The back is missing the double hook/tube but the original chape is there.

post-2260-0-55421900-1385482041.jpg

One of two seams...

post-2260-0-59412600-1385482026.jpg

That's a great piece no matter the condition. I think I've only seen one other than this and I cannot recall where that was.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Hi Smith,

reading Pep's post, I was wondering how long I'll have to wait before seeing your own canteen cover pop in this topic :D ... it's a really nice super-rare item and what is more, yours has a quite amazing story ;)

Cheers,

E

HI Smith,

Thank you for posting a pic of your two panel turnbuckle. As said in my opening post, your two panel example would be considered the second production pattern.

If you look at how your cover and mine present from the front you can see how the flaps have a distinctly different appearance. Now if you compare your two panel to the square flap eagle snap you have, you can notice how the geometries are the same with regard to the flaps and shape of the leather reinforcements. I have noticed the leather in mine is more square in shape and smaller in size. The two panel has more of a trapezoidal shape and is larger in size. Thank you again for posting it and for letting me use pictures of your cover. Now I must find one like yours not to mention the mounted patterns for these...

Hi Smith,

reading Pep's post, I was wondering how long I'll have to wait before seeing your own canteen cover pop in this topic :D ... it's a really nice super-rare item and what is more, yours has a quite amazing story ;)

Cheers,

E

OK I will bite. What is the amazing story?

OK I will bite. What is the amazing story?

I don't want to reveal Smith's secrets ... but the story is about the way he got the cover, in a lost warehouse full of german and US gear, after a night road trip across Normandy ... it was like a collector's fairy tale :D

HI Smith,

Thank you for posting a pic of your two panel turnbuckle. As said in my opening post, your two panel example would be considered the second production pattern.

If you look at how your cover and mine present from the front you can see how the flaps have a distinctly different appearance. Now if you compare your two panel to the square flap eagle snap you have, you can notice how the geometries are the same with regard to the flaps and shape of the leather reinforcements. I have noticed the leather in mine is more square in shape and smaller in size. The two panel has more of a trapezoidal shape and is larger in size. Thank you again for posting it and for letting me use pictures of your cover. Now I must find one like yours not to mention the mounted patterns for these...

Hi PEP

absolutly!!!! i saw the differents flaps beteween mine and yours!!!!

you own the first model

Pep

I own the canteen witch is in your cover!!!!!

attachicon.gifP1010632 1280x768.JPG

I remember... B)

I think that one is earlier than my cover. I have seen its top in pictures with the real trial pattern cover. Of course there is the one with the mans kit presented at ground level.

• 3 years later...

I was searching through some of the old posts and found this one. I purchased the DVD set of the files of the 1910 Infantry equipment board of of eBay and noticed the picture from the board report has this canteen and the prototype cover.

Tim

post-192-0-81151800-1484338005_thumb.jpg

I was searching through some of the old posts and found this one. I purchased the DVD set of the files of the 1910 Infantry equipment board of of eBay and noticed the picture from the board report has this canteen and the prototype cover.

Tim

it is also the prototype canteen and cup.

Here's some pictures of a really clean one I saw on eBay recently. I can't really tell if it's a three panel or not. Interesting covers!

post-153820-0-84270700-1484360918.png