Dating of this N3B parka

Erikscollectables

Erikscollectables

Just bought this N3B parka at a local sale and had it cleaned.

Have a very early one in the collection but this one is my size and intended for use this winter :)

What I am trying to find out though is how old this jacket is?

Who can help?

Based on the stock no with 11 digits it should be pre 1974 if I am correct.

The contract number is a bit strange for me.

Many thanks in advance for your help

PS nice touch is that the synthetic fur was exchanged for real fur by a previous owner!

IMG_0818_zps947217b1.jpg

IMG_0817_zps57bf73bc.jpg

Best regards, Erik

N3B's from the mid to late 60's had 8415 series stock numbers, so I'd guess this is a later item. Another clue as to this being a later issue parka, is the absense of the Air Force star from the left sleeve. (Then too, it may have been used by a different service other than the USAF.)

If the fur was changed out, it was probably done by the manufacturer. Parkas were unit equipment items and not the personal property of the GI to whom it was issued. Believe me, GI's didn't spend their own money modifing anything that had to eventually be turned into supply.

On the other hand, this COULD be a surplus parka sold off on the civilian market and modified by an "owner", as you mentioned. All of our cold & wet weather gear sent ot salvage at K.I. Sawyer AFB, Michigan, was given to the Chippawa Indian reservation for rebuilding and sale by them for their tribal cofers. I'm sure similar practies were followed at other Air Force Bases around the country back in those days.

No matter the vintage, you have one very nice parka that should give years of useful wear.

My Alpha N3B is one of the most comfortable and wearable warm cold-weather coats I have. The addition of the wolfs' fur trim is a real bonus...much nicer than the cheaper faux-fur they used from the 80s!

This is one of Alpha's commerical copies and not an issue parka. The clues are the Federal Trade Commision registration number (RN 35569), which is only on commercial clothing, the "Made in USA", which issue clothing does not have, and the bogus "stock number". The first four digits of the FSN/NSN are the Federal Supply Code. 1615, as used on this parka, is "Helicopter Rotor Blades, Drive Mechanisms and Components." It should be 8415, as Lee Ragan stated, which is "Clothing, Special Purpose".

B229 is correct. However, as Alpha is a recognized government contractor, the items they "over-produce" for sale on the civilian market are of the same military spec so you're getting a good quality product anyway. I've got a couple of Alpha M65 field jackets which are indistinguishable from issue M65s apart from the commercial label and a small embroidered "rayon" tag bearing the Alpha logo. Any such logo to be found on your parka? When new it would almost certainly have had a red/white "Remove Before Flight" ribbon attached to the zipper.

• 3 weeks later...

Lived in one for nine years in SAC great coat. Note the shell is also nylon. The Parka's for the 80's had a blended shell. I like the fur ruff.