US tank helmet

Luxembourg

Hello,

someone wants to sell me this tank helmet. I don´t know anything about these helmets... My question is if it is from ww2? He wants 150 Euro
Thanks for your help!

Greetings

post-104836-0-80032800-1385330277.jpg

post-104836-0-77262500-1385330288.jpg

YES..its WW2.....US Tankers Helmet.....original small size missing elasticated straps.....in my opinion not worth the money.

Regards

Lloyd

Actually this is an interesting helmet. As others have noted it is indeed a Rawlings produced tanker helmet of WWII vintage. They were also used post-war as well. Definately been tinkered with: missing one of the ear hole covers, missing the elasticized retention straps, and the leather covered metal spring arms have been removed from both sides. The interesting part is the application of what appears to be two different colored stripes around the base of the helmet bowl. Also appears that the previous owner inserted something in the top of the helmet bowl to cover the ventilation holes. This was a frequent wartime field modification to keep rain, snow, sleet etc. from coming into the helmet. Appears to be something written on the front of the helmet, can you make out what it says?

Larry

Actually this is an interesting helmet. As others have noted it is indeed a Rawlings produced tanker helmet of WWII vintage. They were also used post-war as well. Definately been tinkered with: missing one of the ear hole covers, missing the elasticized retention straps, and the leather covered metal spring arms have been removed from both sides. The interesting part is the application of what appears to be two different colored stripes around the base of the helmet bowl. Also appears that the previous owner inserted something in the top of the helmet bowl to cover the ventilation holes. This was a frequent wartime field modification to keep rain, snow, sleet etc. from coming into the helmet. Appears to be something written on the front of the helmet, can you make out what it says?

Larry

But what can the 2 colors mean? Because it looks like there is a diamond painted on the back of the helmet?

I don't see any words at the helmet? I own only these pictures of it.

Real nice Rawlings Ian!

The helmet offered for sale sure saw a lot of combat, to certain collectors this would add to the value, some prefer items that look as if they came out of the factory yesterday.

It's up to you... The only one who can decide what it's worth is you. You have to decide whether you are willing to pay that amount.

I personally would try to come down on the price. It is in any case an authentic M1938 crash helmet as used by tankers. No problem there. Possibly something that went through a lot in the ETO, if it could only talk!

Cheers

No way of knowing what the colors meant. An interesting helmet for sure but I agree with the others, the price is too, too much. For a helmet in this condition I would say 150 USD tops. You can still get original, unissued Rawling's tank helmets for 200-250 USD.

Larry