Question about material used USN Rates

auggie

Is there a way to judge the time period of USN rates by the material used? I recently acquired a huge lot of PO1 rates which is a major theme of my collection. There are several different types of material used. Some of the winter rates are felt, some are two different types of heavier cloth. Some are obvious because dates from the 1940s or Liona or NYEC are stitched on the back. Some of the summer rates have tiny anchors stitched on the reverse. Some of the summer rates are heavy cloth others are the thinner more recent poplin.

Any help or reference is appreciated.

Thanks

Auggie

Auggie,

Yes and no. But it is not the rating badge material itself ,its what the chevrons are made of. If you look at your older rates chevrons(30's-20 ect) you should see a difference to your ww2 ones. Also look at the backs and fronts and see how they are sewn on.

Jason

Yes and no. The material used for the chevrons will help you in identifying the age of older ones, as does the direction, and "pose" of the eagle. For later ones, the material does come into play. Any rates that use synthetic material will be more recent. Then the eagle changed shape around 1985, which makes those easy to identify. There is probably a good reference somewhere for this. Might make a good flow chart, though it would be complicated.

David and Navyman,

Thanks for the info. I took a closer look at the back of the rates and found the older ones (WWII era) have stitched on chevrons. I actually had some duplicates I was going to sell/trade that proved to be older than some I was keeping and displaying so I changed over to the older rates.

It would be interesting to learn more about the evolution of materials, how the chevrons were applied, and the rear marking used by the Mfgs.

Auggie have you checked out John Stacey's book "United States Navy Rating Badges and Marks 1833 to 2008" that has a lot about material changes over time and manufacturer markings on the back. It is also the ultimate guide to rating badges. I just tried to search the internet to see if one is for sale and it is no longer available. I bought mine on Ebay when they were being sold on there but it appears they are all sold out, but I am sure one of the members knows how to get one from John Stacey. Not sure if you have this book or not.

Auggie have you checked out John Stacey's book "United States Navy Rating Badges and Marks 1833 to 2008" that has a lot about material changes over time and manufacturer markings on the back. It is also the ultimate guide to rating badges. I just tried to search the internet to see if one is for sale and it is no longer available. I bought mine on Ebay when they were being sold on there but it appears they are all sold out, but I am sure one of the members knows how to get one from John Stacey. Not sure if you have this book or not.

I just bought the one and only copy that I have found on eBay for months. I can't wait for it to arrive.

I just bought the one and only copy that I have found on eBay for months. I can't wait for it to arrive.

That book is a good read and a must for the rate collector in my opinion.