Some Early American Machine Guns in Istanbul

daniel griffin

daniel griffin

I was at the Turkish Military Museum in Istanbul today and saw these very interesting early American machine guns.

This one is marked, Improved Gardner Gun Manufactured by Pratt & Whitney Hartford Conn USA with 1880's patent dates.

ist57.jpg

ist56.jpg

I was at the Turkish Military Museum in Istanbul today and saw these very interesting early American machine guns.

This one is marked, Improved Gardner Gun Manufactured by Pratt & Whitney Hartford Conn USA with 1880's patent dates.

They are fun to shoot as well, this is a friends.

post-12145-0-23917900-1385387616.jpg

How does the action work in the Gardner?

Hello Cavdoc83

Here is a description from another friend

"Each barrel had its own feed in the magazine and inside the mechanism alternated from barrel to barrel. Activated by a cam that rolled over center to cycle . It was really two guns tied together. Not nearly as fast as the gattling gun [ insert picture of Don firing same]. Hole in top of brass housing was to pour water in to cool gun."

Ok so as directed, [ insert picture of Don firing same]

Here I am

post-12145-0-35401200-1385417705.jpg

daniel griffin

Cool Guns Danny. Do they know you are loose in their country yet? Robert

They didn't get enough names on the petition to keep me out!

bob lamoreaux

A number of years ago (about 5 or so) I ran into a fellow at either the Harrisburg (PA) or York (PA) [probably the East Coast SAR show) who was into making exact scale (model) replicas of Gardner machine guns. He was a hobbyist, not selling them. Think he was hanging around Curt Wolfe's display (Curt was then making Gatlings and possibly Gardners -- don't know if he is still in business or not). Absolutely beautiful (and expensive!) guns. I think Curt was the only one making Gatling's at that time, I think it was Thunder Valley that made "modern" Gatlings before Curt started his business.

Wow, gorgeous pieces. I especially like the Lowell Battery Gun by Ames. Wonder what these bring in the U.S. ? I don't recall seeing one sale for quite some time (even rock island auction).

Probably will never come out of Turkey. I have heard it is next to impossible to take antique weaponry out of the country.

Thanks for all the posts. Great stuff,

Terence