B17 "Knockout dropper" "times a wastin" and unknown ?

littlebuddy

The third one looks like Daddy's Delight #42-97944

B-17G 359BS (BN-I)

Assigned: 02 Jun 1944

Fate: salvaged 13 Dec 1945

Missions: 108

Ground Crewmen:

Peterson, John L. (CC)

post-13070-0-74708600-1385339948.jpg

Johnny Signor

Ding Ding Ding Ding , We have a Winner, Yayyyyyyy the crowd goes wild Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :D seriously glad to see ya got it nailed down, this site is awesome for all the people and the knowledge they have and great and friendly at helping each other !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Knock out Dropper is one of the most well known B-17s as she was one of the first high mission birds. She eventually was sent home but not until she'd been signed by most of the folks from the 303rd.

If memory serves, Bert Stiles, who wrote "Serenade to the Big Bird" flew in "Times a Wastin" a s part of the Sam Newton crew 91st BG. I believe there is an A2 jacket displayed at the AF Museum with that nose art from one of her former crew.

Isnt there just Ian !!! the last photo second from left front row B9 or b11 parka ?? cant decide on which !!!

Hi Carl,

With a white collar, it is a B-11 parka.

doinworkinvans

In post #32 picture what jacket are the 2 guys on back row right wearing? Thats not an Ike is it? I cant tell at alll......

Dan the photos were amongst some other things here in the collection !! I was just rummaging through them this weekend !! not a bad find I suppose ???

Hi Carl,

With a white collar, it is a B-11 parka.

Mathieu , do you say this due to the wrist adjusters I can just make them out now ! :) My B11 has a dark mouton trim to the hood

The third one looks like Daddy's Delight #42-97944

B-17G 359BS (BN-I)

Assigned: 02 Jun 1944

Fate: salvaged 13 Dec 1945

Missions: 108

Ground Crewmen:

Peterson, John L. (CC)

Thanks buddy !! that's a great piece of info !!!

LB

doinworkinvans

Dan the photos were amongst some other things here in the collection !! I was just rummaging through them this weekend !! not a bad find I suppose ???

I would be most pleased! You are the MAN!!

I would be most pleased! You are the MAN!!

Not me Dan !!! you should thank my late uncle !!! he was the one who found them !!! ;)

• 5 weeks later...

This is the A-2 worn by Col. Lew Sanders when he reportedly became the first person in US uniform to shoot down an enemy aircraft in W.W.2. Flying a P-36 of the 46th FS, on Dec.7 1941.

post-5349-0-97682500-1388100222.jpg