UNDERWATER DEMOLITION TEAM 12 HBT Jacket IWO JIMA

Raidercollector

Raidercollector

Here is a HBt marine jacket I have owned for many years,This is a real rare bird to have. Not sure if the letters inside is his name ,or means something else. Look how they colored in the logo. How they did it. This guy was probably at Iwo Jima prior to the invasion.and other engagements. From some of the research I did. I have never seen another one like this. I would love to know about this UDT man.Probably saw tons of action from what I have read on UNT 12. Thought I would share this jacket with the forum.

Nick

UNDERWATER DEMOLITION TEAM HISTORIES

WWII UDT TEAM TWELVE

Underwater Demolition Team # 12 was formed at Naval Combat Demolition Unit, Amphibious Training Base, Fort Pierce, Florida. The eighty (80) men and fifteen (15) officers making up the complement of the team had been trained in class Seven and Eight with replacements from the training staff and former classes who had not been previously assigned. On September 26, 1944, Lt. Commander E. S. HOCHULI, USNR, was assigned as Commanding Officer.

The team left Fort Pierce, Florida on 30 September 1944 on a troop train bound for San Bruno, California for further transfer outside the continental Limits of the United States. Teams # 11 and # 13 accompanied. Enroute to the west coast orders were received changing the destination to Camp Shoemaker and the team spent two days there drawing overseas gear before reporting to Treasure Island for embarkation. Orders to report aboard the USS GENERAL PATRICK were received and the team embarked and left San Francisco on 14 October 1944.

Proceeding via Pearl Harbor, Team # 12 reported at Naval Combat Demolition Training and Experimental Base, Maui, T.H., for advance demolition training on 22 October 1944. From 1 November to 1 January 1945 the team underwent reorganization with many personnel changes. Swimming and physical instruction as well as advance training in demolition and reconnaissance was carried on day and night with emphasis on APD training problems. The complement was filled with thirteen (13) officers and eighty-five (85) enlisted men.

On January 7, 1945 the team was ordered aboard the USS BATES (APD 47) and departed Maui for Pearl Harbor. Here explosives and team gear were taken aboard and the ship provisioned. Team # 13 accompanied on the USS BARR (APD 39). Together with the USS NEVADA and an AGC the ships left Pearl Harbor bound for Ulithi, staging area for the Iwo Jima operation.

On 10 February 1945 after intense rehearsals Underwater Demolition Teams # 12, # 13, # 14 and # 15 left Ulithi together with transports and ships of the fleet. The advance group arrived off Iwo Jima on 16 February 1945 and the APD’s circled the island at 2500 yards that date making observations to aid in final operation planning.

The Underwater Demolition Teams under command of Commander Underwater Demolition Teams, Amphibious Forces, Pacific Fleet, Captain B. HALL HANLON, USN, was assigned the task of making reconnaissance missions on the eastern beaches at 1100 and on the western beaches at 1630 on 17 February 1945 (D-2). Team # 12 conducted reconnaissance of Red 1 and 2 beaches (1000 yards) on the eastern side and Brown 1 and 2 beaches on the western side. Swimmers were dropped from LCPR's 500 yards from the beaches with pairs of swimmers covering approximately 100 yards of shore line before returning to be picked up by the LCPR's. Swimmers were equipped with mine detonating devices and made careful observations of the approaches and shore line. The information was prepared in the form of charts and dispatches and turned in to higher authority to be relayed to the approaching landing force.

During the reconnaissance mission on the eastern beaches, the fire support ships LCI(G's) drew heavy machine gun, mortar and rifle fire which took a heavy toll of personnel manning the LCI's. One Underwater Demolition Team # 12 officer, Ensign Frank JIRKA, USNR, assigned as observer aboard the LCI(G) 466, lost both feet as the result of a mortar hit on the bridge. (Editor’s note: Ensign Frank Jirka was a swimmer. Click here to read his firsthand account of this life-changing event.) A.E. ANDERSON, CM 1c, a swimmer was listed as missing in action. On D-Day several officers from Underwater Demolition Team #12 led the first waves into Red beaches while other officers were assigned to Control Boats in an advisory capacity. From D+1 to D+9 Underwater Demolition Team #12 was assigned to the Senior Beachmaster and engaged in clearing the eastern landing beaches of wrecked craft, LCPR's, LCVP's LVT's, LCM's, pontoon barges, ect. The team was detached and departed the area D+3 heading for Ulithi via Guam.

At Ulithi the teams staged for the Okinawa Operation. Still embarked on the APD 47, Underwater Demolition Team # 12 in the advance group arrived off the Kerama Retto on 25 March 1945 and proceeded into the Retto to conduct three reconnaissance missions on Yakabi Shima, Zamami Shima, and Amuro Shima. The following day (L-6, 26 March 1945) officers and men served as pilots for the Army landing force (77th Division) which landed to secure the western islands as a fleet anchorage. On L-3 a demonstration reconnaissance was made on Green Able Beaches 1 and 2 on the southern coast of Okinawa. The following day a demonstration demolition job was carried out consisting of setting off charges at the reef’s edge. The purpose of the demonstration was to divert enemy troops from the main landing beaches. The USS BATES was assigned a screening station off Okinawa until 10 April 1945 (L+9): During this time the ship was attacked on several occasions by suicide planes but not hit. Twenty-one wounded survivors from a destroyer hit by Kamikaze planes were picked up and medical aid given by ships crew and Underwater Demolition Team personnel on 8 April 1945. On 10 April 1945 the BATES with Underwater Demolition Team # 12 departed the area returning to Ulithi via Saipan.

post-421-0-26579600-1385314869.jpg

post-421-0-13254200-1385314886.jpg

There is a very complete roster of the men who served in WWII UDTs. There was no one with those initials assigned to UDT 12. You also have to keep in mind that UDT 12 existed for many years after WWII, so this piece could be from the 50s etc...

I don't think they colored around the logo. They were neatly blacked out and after a few washes the blanko faded out given it an appearance as if it was highlighted. This would have been a Navy man not USMC hence the reason the conceal the USMC and EGA.

Raidercollector

Thanks for the imput. Even after the war why would they mark it like that. Have you ever seen one. ? . I would like to see a comparison on this HBT. If any one out there has one. When did they stop using HBT,s Viet Nam ? And how where they marked. ? just my 2 cents . From WW2 to Korea ECT .......

Nick

Raidercollector

I,m sure the Navy did block out the logo,s. How long was this done intill they received there own Fatigues. Viet Nam ? Korea ? .There is not much info out there. I just don,t know. Maybe some of you guys know.

Nick

Not following what you mean by the markings...this was the standard abbreviation for UDT 12 throughout it's history, and lots of things were marked that way. I believe the Marines used HBT up through the 50s until the sateens came in (don't quote me). I think your piece may be from the late 40s/50s...or the initials mean something else.

Actually what can prove this to be post war is the HBT jacket itself, Is this not the P48 pattern? If I recall correctly the WWII models have more squared off corners were as the P48's are rounded like this one. Hopefully a more versed individual on the subject will chime in

Raidercollector

Kadat

I did read T.H. meant Territory of Hawii. That was where one of there bases where during WW2 and after I,m sure.Just another Thought. Strange to me.

Nick

The Sailor himself probably inked out the logos. Just an expedient way to use a jacket that was available to him. The UDTs were tiny organizations after WWII, and reuse of USMC equipment was common. These weren't dress uniforms or anything. This would have probably been worn along w/ a pair of UDT shorts while working on the water or beach. It was a field/work uniform.

I don't know why a Sailor would mark Territory of Hawaii in his jacket. I'm pretty sure those are his initials and this is a post war jacket....its a great piece though, and one that I would love to have in my collection if you ever decide to sell it!

ps: UDT 12 is one of the UDTs that lasted until they were all turned in to SEAL Teams in 1983. UDT 12 became SEAL Delivery Vehicle Team ONE

Raidercollector

Kadet

I,m sure you are right. I am learning on this myself from you guys. I would love to know who T,H is and date it when he had it. I have another UDT group to a marine that was KIA on IWO feb 17, That I posted before,I don,t have his Uniform,Just his medals and photos and paper work. I,m sure I need more research on this HBt jacket. I find that it is very interesting to research, And help from you guys on the forum.

Nick

Thanks Nick...WWII UDT material is extremely rare. I actively look for it, and I only have four award groups that relate; an engraved GCM group to a WWII UDT man, a KIA Bronze Star to a WWII UDT man, an un engraved Bronze Star group to a WWII UDT man and a USN KIA PH to a Sailor killed on one of the gun boats supporting the Iwo UDT operations (this one was a walk in to the SOS last year)

Raidercollector

Kadet

Awesome. You beat me on that one at the SOS. I never saw it. Yes and they are very rare. I,m with you on that. You never see items from the UDT ,during WW2.

I just walked in to this HBT jacket.What ever the date is. And I know it is real.If I ever decide to sell it ,I will let you know.One of my best friends was in the UDT during Viet Nam ,Did 2 tour,s. He told me some interesting stories, And he was a Crazy MF. My problem I have to much stuff I kept digging out of my bunker. I forgot I even had this jacket.

Nick

There were Marines in UDT during WW2. Marines and UDT also worked together in Korea. As a trainee in 1970 we had a few USMC blouses that trainees wore. The EGAs were very faded. We also had some USMC covers wth EGA.

craig_pickrall

This P41 shirt is marked in a similar fashion except it is used by a SEABEE. This particular shirt is in the CB Museum.

post-5-0-92539400-1385412042.jpg

Here are pictures I found of a Marine who was in from 56-59, the first photo he is still wearing a P-41 HBT coat even at that late of a date.

http://marinesinforestgreen.blogspot.com/2013/07/1950s-marine-ernest-l-kyles-photo.html

I also bought a grouping from a Marine who was in from 1957-60 and it included two P-41s with his name on them.

They were used at least up to the 1960s. I believe the official paperwork made the HBT obsolete was the late 60's although it seemed to be out of practice by the 1965 as none of my Dad's photos have him wearing HBTs in training or in Viet Nam, although he is wearing the sateen version of the Gomer Pyle coats.

Unless it's to a specific Marine no way to tell if its WWII UD12 or something used at a later date.

Incredible item!! Would still be a top item to own in a USMC collection!

Leonardo