WWII "Broken Duck" Cuff Links, three pair no less!

My wife and I spent the afternoon kickin around Amish Country today. Stopped at a few antique shops just for s**ts & giggles. Didn't really expect to find much but I found all of these at one shop in a case. Now how could anyone in their right mind pass up three pairs of "WWII Broken Duck" cufflinks for $5 a pair. Or the screw back Sterling "Broken Duck" button for $8 or even the Gold screw back "Eagle" pin for $10. The two sealed and boxed medals were icing on the cake at $5 a pop. When I checked out the old-timer behind the counter asked me if I had a lot of suits for the cuff links.....Yes, yes I do, just not the kind he's thinking about.

Headed to Ft. Benning in the morning and then on to Jacksonville. Leaving with a fat bank roll and empty car. Plan to come home overloaded and broke..... :D

post-124172-0-08506600-1385265938.jpg

Never heard the term 'broken duck' for the Honorable Service Discharge emblem. The Term "Ruptured Duck"

was the common term back in the day. Nice find. Have never seen them as cuff links. Bobgee

TreasureHunter

Never heard the term 'broken duck' for the Honorable Service Discharge emblem. The Term "Ruptured Duck"

was the common term back in the day. Nice find. Have never seen them as cuff links. Bobgee

Yeah the Amish folks don't know much about military stuff. The old timer really thought they were cuff links. I spent a few minutes explaining the name and what they really were. Then we both had a good laugh.

I'd be happy to as soon as I get home next week. I'm on a vacation / buying / Infantry School gradaution trip in the South. Haven't found much, apparently looking in the wrong places....

I have never seen a sterling ruptured duck. Would you mind posting a close-up picture?

Thanks, Kat

Hey Kat,

They made sterling and 10/14 kar gold ones. I have two or three sterling ones and had some gold ones but sold them when gold was high.

Terry

I have never seen a sterling ruptured duck. Would you mind posting a close-up picture?

Thanks, Kat

Finally home, I didn't forget. Here ya go...front and back. This particular one has evidence of blue enamel at some point. Kinda odd....

post-124172-0-06605800-1386528336.jpg

post-124172-0-69090400-1386528351.jpg

Thanks so much for showing the sterling silver ruptured duck. That is a very nice one! I have never seen a sterling silver one.

This forum is great! I am seeing so many new little items. I love it!

...Kat

• 1 month later...

I picked this little guy up at an auction last night. Two interesting points. It's a clutch back and the card appears to be dated 1985 (?) If the date is accurate, it's the newest one I've ever seen. As I understand it the ruptured duck is still an authorized piece. The funny part, the estate was of a WWII 100th division vet.

Scott

post-124172-0-65439000-1390342780.jpgpost-124172-0-95940000-1390342781.jpg

That's not odd at all...these are included in the reissue medals sent out to vets getting their medals replaced - just a modern day restrike just like the medals.

Mark sends

• 3 weeks later...

Just another tidbit of info.

My Father, while in the Marine Corps served at the 8th & I Marine Corps Barracks. He was one of the Marine's that stood out side the white house during the Eisenhower administration. He said that the way you could tell who were the Secret Service security agents for the President was that they wore the Ruptured Duck pins on their lapel.

Semper Fi

Phil

Any chance Mods. can change the title here to Ruptured Duck ?

I don't mean this against you but I think the title of "broken duck" is funny. The OP had the title because that is how the ruptured duck was advertised. If the OP wants to change the title, it should be changed but I vote to leave it as is.

The intent of the original thread has changed. Maybe we should start a new one to talk about the ruptured duck.

...Kat

I understand the humor. Could just as easily start a new one with correct title. Proceed.

Mods, feel free to change the title. Doesn't matter to me either way.

It's all good,

Scott

• 4 weeks later...