2003 Iraq invasion Republican Guard Helmet & Beret

Tonomachi

I purchased this helmet and beret from an artilleryman with the 41st Artillery Brigade who put them up for sale on Craigslist. He told me that they were attached to the 101st Airborne Division during their assault along the west side of the country in 2003. Afterwards they were stuck in Baghdad collecting munitions for disposal. During this time period this artilleryman purchased the helmet and beret at a market in Baghdad. I'm guessing these are original pieces probably abandoned surplus and not tourist copies.

post-1389-0-48488100-1385251469.jpg

I've got 14 helmets and 6 berets I have collected over the years. Helmets probably mostly good; hard to tell with the berets. If you can, get a letter from the vet explaining where he got them, under what circumstances, and unit affiliations. If he won't do this, at least get an email with that info. Very nice to have, and to keep with the artifacts. I like what you have.

BOLO is correct on the helmet, they were the last helmets produced under the regime of Saddam Hussein and went largely unused. The beret is a military policeberet made by the Wassit Company for Textiles in Iraq. A good piece but not Republican Guard. Scott

• 1 month later...

I purchased this helmet and beret from an artilleryman with the 41st Artillery Brigade who put them up for sale on Craigslist. He told me that they were attached to the 101st Airborne Division during their assault along the west side of the country in 2003. Afterwards they were stuck in Baghdad collecting munitions for disposal. During this time period this artilleryman purchased the helmet and beret at a market in Baghdad. I'm guessing these are original pieces probably abandoned surplus and not tourist copies.

Sweet stuff man! The red or maroon berets we found over there were Iraqi Airborne (even though after going the the AFB at An Habbaniyah we never found any parachutes!! The helmet is a great find, we captured a tone of these, mostly unissued, the Iraqis and insurgents ditched these for the most part. I got mine in as samawah. We were actually op-con to the 101st ABN DIV, from Karbala to Baghdad, and yes the artillery guys were mainly blowing up caches during the coo operation period (before the insurgency picked up). Great stuff man, if I can answer any questions, hit me up.

-RICK

Sweet stuff man! The red or maroon berets we found over there were Iraqi Airborne (even though after going the the AFB at An Habbaniyah we never found any parachutes!! The helmet is a great find, we captured a tone of these, mostly unissued, the Iraqis and insurgents ditched these for the most part. I got mine in as samawah. We were actually op-con to the 101st ABN DIV, from Karbala to Baghdad, and yes the artillery guys were mainly blowing up caches during the coo operation period (before the insurgency picked up). Great stuff man, if I can answer any questions, hit me up.

-RICK

Many thanks for the additional information.

I have a identical helmet.Cae in a couple of boxes of items taken from a storage area in Bahgdad by a SF Captain Im aquainted with.Everything he sent back was unissued.Boots,gear,helmets.

-RICK

As I said above, red is military police not airborne or republican guard although the military police did exist within rg units. Maroon is special forces but don't compare it to the U.S. as they didn't even remotely operate like our SF. The Iraqi's did have jump trained soldiers but again, nothing comparable to an airborne division. Last Octobers issue of Military Trader has my article on Iraqi berets, you can find many more answers there regarding color, manufacturers and use. August issue has my helmet article. Scott

As I said above, red is military police not airborne or republican guard although the military police did exist within rg units. Maroon is special forces but don't compare it to the U.S. as they didn't even remotely operate like our SF. The Iraqi's did have jump trained soldiers but again, nothing comparable to an airborne division. Last Octobers issue of Military Trader has my article on Iraqi berets, you can find many more answers there regarding color, manufacturers and use. August issue has my helmet article. Scott

Wait, the Iraqis did have Airborne units, they jumped and seized Faylaka island off of Kuwait during the Gulf War in 91, we actually trained on this island prior to the invasion, found a bunch of iraqi stuff still on the island (it was abandoned by kuwait, but recently re-occupied I heard).Roger, their Airborne do not compare with us (82nd / 173rd, RGR RGT) The maroon berets I assumed were Airborne, never saw anything as you said that remotely resembled SF from their end, and roger, they don't compare (I operated with ODA, CAG and the RGT over there both as part of TF-120 and non, did a bunch of raids with them). Can I order back issues of Military Trader magazine? Would be interested in seeing them.

Cool stuff, Cheers!!!

-RICH

I am pretty sure you can contact Military Trader and get back issues from them. As for Failaka Island, the Iraqi's actually used a Special Forces group consisting of an air mobile operation and a Marine landing. Again, Iraqi Marines should not be compared to US Marines as they were part of the army... Maroon berets may signify an airborne qualified individual but just as easily and more often will not. Many Iraqi soldiers are seen with what we would consider jump wings, but these do not signify jump training, just that the soldier is part of a special forces unit. Its a strange structure and it doesn't fit traditional US or European models so it creates confusion among collectors. My beret and helmet articles are posted on the OEF/OIF Forum if you want to view them. My rank article came out in December and in the next month or two there should be a Republican Guard article as well, but I haven't got a date from the editor yet. Scott.