Early Shako Helmet Plates

Although not War of 1812 these early shako eagles closely follow that period. Attached are the regulation 1821 eagle shako plates worn on the bell crown leather shako. Infantry wore silver and artillery wore gold. Also pic is my US Army 1832 Infantry shako with the 1821 regulation eagle. The other frame shows a 1836 Militia Infantry eagle shako plate and artillery side buttons for the shako. These militia plates were twice the size of the regulation plates.

post-6022-0-19414300-1385209140.jpg

post-6022-0-98249300-1385209156.jpg

post-6022-0-89647000-1385209727.jpg

That shako is a rare bird. Really nice. Any interesting background story on where it came from/surfaced?

Kurt,

This popped up on Flayderman's about 35 years ago. I took a chance on it and was more than pleased with the shako when it arrived. To date I have not seen another federal shako show up, a couple militia but none were complete with cords etc.

Terry

Kurt,

This popped up on Flayderman's about 35 years ago. I took a chance on it and was more than pleased with the shako when it arrived. To date I have not seen another federal shako show up, a couple militia but none were complete with cords etc.

Terry

Yes. It's a amazingly complete. First one I have seen.