My Chaplain find at the Goodwill

Manchu Warrior

Manchu Warrior

I was in a thrift store tonight and not having much luck when a young lady reminded me that all the Goodwill stores in the area were having Midnight Madness tonight. From 8 to 12 everything in all the stores was 50% off. I left the store and figured I would go out of my way to a Goodwill I had not been to for quite awhile. I got there and the lot was packed and yet there was a parking spot right in front of the door. I thought that might be a sign of good luck. I walked in and the check out line started right at the front door and twisted through most of the store. I told myself that I would have to find something really special to stand in that line. I walked around for about an hour with out much luck. I than walked over to the show cases around the cash registers and low and behold this Chaplains kit was in the case. i do believe that this is an early Vietnam War era kit and many of the items are still wrapped in the original plastic. I really was shocked that the kit was still sitting there almost two hours into their half off sale. There was a price tag of $150 on it and I paid $75. I know almost nothing about Chaplain items but I have to imagine that that was a pretty good price.

post-1412-0-26813300-1385096283.jpgpost-1412-0-27706200-1385096295.jpg

That is one of the best finds I have seen come out of a Goodwill store in a long time. Excellent grab! I can't imagine that there are too many of these around. I think $75.00 was a steal. ;)

Manchu Warrior

I am not sure what belongs with this kit and if anyone can give me a list of what is suppose to be with the kit it would much appreciated. I also appreciate the comments. Thanks!

Congratulations on a great Goodwill find-your Goodwill must get the good stuff. In Georgia, we get the (crappy) leftovers. Thanks for sharing.

Manchu Warrior

Congratulations on a great Goodwill find-your Goodwill must get the good stuff. In Georgia, we get the (crappy) leftovers. Thanks for sharing.

I always did rather well in the thrift stores when I was stationed at Fort Stewart. I also found some nice items at Kellers flea market in Savannah. Or at least I believe, because it has has been awhile, that that was the name of the flea market. The Goodwill I found the kit in is not that far from Aberdeen Proving Grounds. And with all the changes at APG over the last few years it wouldn't surprise me if the kit somehow made its way out of there. Thanks

Very nice find.

There is a Chaplain Museum at Fort Jackson. They may be able to help you with any information regarding your find. They are also looking for donations so if you ever decide to sell it, you might want to think about donating to them.

...Kat

Great find. Looks almost complete. What is missing are the white linens. Not a big deal. What is interesting is the Latin Mass cards. This was pre Vatican II, so early 1960's.

I believe the chaplain museum has a kit like this.

Very nice find.

I have the same case which I found over twenty years ago. Sadly mine was empty in the bottom compartment but in the top where it un-snaps there was a Chaplain's flag and two Army Chaplian Stoles. They are a black Christian one and a white Jewish one. I am not sure if they were part of the original kit but they were there as well as the two cover pieces for the alter. I hang the flag up and set up the alter in my displays and cover it with military bibles from World War One to about the mid 1990s. People do enjoy seeing it.

Jack

Manchu Warrior

Just thought I would add a picture of the two Chaplain's Stoles that were in the case I have.

Jack

Much appreciated. Thanks!

Manchu Warrior

Very nice find.

There is a Chaplain Museum at Fort Jackson. They may be able to help you with any information regarding your find. They are also looking for donations so if you ever decide to sell it, you might want to think about donating to them.

...Kat

I appreciate the information and I was just looking at their website. Thanks!