M3 Knife use by the AAF

bayonetman

• 2 weeks later...
Fort Susquehanna

FYI,

TO&E 1-977, for Liaison Squadrons, shows 140 M-3 knives (one per man in the squadron in Theater of Operations) until the first change in 1945. Then, they eliminated 5 of the knives from the Medical Section. Seems to me the medics needed the M-3 more than anybody else in the squadron.

AAF_Collection

Is there much/any evidence of bomber crewmen in the ETO carrying the M3 with M6 scabbard?. The reason I ask I have an M3/M6 combo which is said to have belonged to a member of the 390th BG.

Matt.

Post #25 is of a bomber crewman ETO though its an M8 scabbard, as long as the provenance to your knife is there! I don't think anyone would be shocked if a picture showed up of a ETO crewman with M3/M6 combo. The two pics posted with that combo are PTO and CBI. Overall I don't think there is much evidence period! of hunting knives being worn in the ETO for operational aviation personnel. The typical in a group photo is one guy is donning one and the rest are not, the ratio has a large spread.

Greetings Tthen,

Pretty sure it is WWII because of the aircraft’s name in the background. Dauntless Dotty was the B29 commanded by Robert Morgan (Also commanded the famous B17 Memphis Belle) it led the first B29 Raid on Tokyo 24 NOV 44 and was assigned to the 20th Air Force, 73rd Bombardment Wing, 497th Group, 869th Squadron.

You can read all about it here @ http://www.memphis-belle.com/dotty_story.htm

Regards,

Lance

Here is one, but not sure if its WW2. What do you think?

Thank you Lance, I wasn't sure because it was with a group of photos of B29s in Korea.

No sweat, I thought the aircraft's name looked familiar.

Regards,

Lance

Matt /Guys...the M3/M6 scbbard combo is correct in ETO units...i have a hand given M3/M6 combo given to me by 1st Lt Glenn "Buzz" Fielding of the 361st FG from Bottisham Cambs it went with him throughout 44 into 45.....

Regards

Lloyd

AAF_Collection

Thanks Lloyd. There is a photo I found on the forum of a group of Eighth Air Force P-51 pilots wearing G-Suits and several have M3's.

Matt.

AAF_Collection

Here's a pic of a group of Eighth Air Force fighter pilots which was posted previously on the forum, but right now I can't find the thread. Note the various knives being worn on the leg.

post-61896-0-34756400-1387712213.jpg

That's a great picture Matt! Such a mix of kit...first generation G-suits, British and US flight helmets, A2 and B10 jackets, B8 goggles etc...a real mix 'n' match selection!

Here's a pic of a group of Eighth Air Force fighter pilots which was posted previously on the forum, but right now I can't find the thread. Note the various knives being worn on the leg.

Note , not one pair of flight boots !!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
AAF_Collection

Not the best pictures, but this is my Case M3 which is said to have belonged to a member of the 390th BG at Framlingham, though I have no proof of this. The M1911-A1 is a Remington Rand, and both it and the M8 are deactivated.

Collection4.jpg

Collection5.jpg

Matt.

• 1 year later...