Unknown Ribbon Worn By Gen. George Patton

seanmc1114

What is the upper right ribbon worn by Gen. Patton in this picture? I know that he earned the Coast Guard Silver Lifesaving Medal and it does somewhat resemble that medal, but it seems to have yellow stripes on the end and a device in the middle.

post-1761-0-71885700-1385044829.jpg

post-1761-0-22155700-1385044838.jpg

post-1761-0-56940700-1385044846.jpg

I'm assuming that the ribbons are worn in the correct order of precedence which would almost have to make it the Silver Lifesaving Medal. Even though it is technically not a military award, I think it does come between the Silver Star and Distinguished Service Medal. If, on the other hand, it is a foreign award, it is extremely out of order.

Patton's Life Saving Medal ribbon would have been the all light blue version. He died prior to the "new" multi color ribbon being introduced in conjunction with the smaller version medal.

There are multiple photos out there of him wearing the all-light-blue Lifesaving ribbon on his uniform. Could it possibly be the one under his lapel? Out of order, I know, but....

There are multiple photos out there of him wearing the all-light-blue Lifesaving ribbon on his uniform. Could it possibly be the one under his lapel? Out of order, I know, but....

I assume the one under his lapel on the top row is the Distinguished Service Cross.

The device on the ribbon in question resembles a rosette so I guess there's a good chance it is a foreign award that's just out of order. If so, I wonder if Patton would fine himself.

I assume the one under his lapel on the top row is the Distinguished Service Cross.

The one I was referring to was the blue one under his lapel in the below photo. It's too dark, the more I look at it, but it might be a shade thing, or a shadow...I'm pulling at straws, I know...

pribs.jpg

Picture from his museum

If you look at the way his medals are mounted, that blue bit of ribbon COULD actually be his lifesaving medal. Note how bluish the PH ribbon is in his photo. The unknown ribbon under the lapel could be a really blue tinted Lifesaving ribbon.....

It is not his Silver Lifesaving Medal ribbon. The Silver Lifesaving ribbon would not be that dark. It would be longer, and it would not have been worn between the Distinguished Service Medal and the Silver Star. Patton wore his Silver Lifesaving Medal ribbon between his Purple Heart and Mexican Service Medal. The ribbon in question seems to be the Grand Luxemburg Cross of the Order of Adolphe of Nassau. The colors of the ribbon and the rosette are consistent with the one on Patton's ribbon bar. Perhaps this was a picture taken shortly after he was awarded the cross. While it isn't in the correct place, I'm sure Patton had dozens and dozens of ribbon bars made up for his various awards and uniforms.

post-13568-0-00968500-1385062403.png

It is not his Silver Lifesaving Medal ribbon. The Silver Lifesaving ribbon would not be that dark. It would be longer, and it would not have been worn between the Distinguished Service Medal and the Silver Star. Patton wore his Silver Lifesaving Medal ribbon between his Purple Heart and Mexican Service Medal. The ribbon in question seems to be the Grand Luxemburg Cross of the Order of Adolphe of Nassau. The colors of the ribbon and the rosette are consistent with the one on Patton's ribbon bar. Perhaps this was a picture taken shortly after he was awarded the cross. While it isn't in the correct place, I'm sure Patton had dozens and dozens of ribbon bars made up for his various awards and uniforms.

Soooo...what you're saying is the one I pointed out in Post #7 under his lapel is probably his Lifesaving medal ribbon...

What I'm saying is the one you pointed out in Post #7 under his lapel is undoubtedly, absolutely, most definitely his SIlver Lifesaving ribbon, yes sir.

What I'm saying is the one you pointed out in Post #7 under his lapel is undoubtedly, absolutely, most definitely his SIlver Lifesaving ribbon, yes sir.

Exxxxcelllent.... ;)

excs.jpg

Here's another example. Note the size difference the older lifesaving ribbon is as opposed to his other ribbons. I stole this picture from the forum some time ago.

post-13568-0-65111500-1385063047.jpg

the original photo looks odd..

I am guessing the colors are off, look at the PH ribbon.

Either a highly edited original or colorized photo in my eyes.

-Brian

I've been watching this thread because I thought the ribbon in question was the one next to his Distinguished Service Medal, top right. I've been looking thru photos, threads trying to figure out what it is.

I'm assuming that the ribbons are worn in the correct order of precedence which would almost have to make it the Silver Lifesaving Medal. Even though it is technically not a military award, I think it does come between the Silver Star and Distinguished Service Medal. If, on the other hand, it is a foreign award, it is extremely out of order.

The Coast Guard is the only service which really considers this a military award, and they rank it below the Meritorious Service Medal and the Joint Services Commendation medal. Thus, it would be VERY out of position in this rack. Another argument against it is that the only attachment authorized for this medal is a gold star which (on the ribbon bar) represents a second award, and the attachment on the ribbon on this bar does not look like a star. Thus, I don't think this is the lifesaving medal.

What it is, is more of a problem..... I would guess something foreign, in which case it is really out of order, but Patton was well-known for making up his own uniform regulations.

Here's another example. Note the size difference the older lifesaving ribbon is as opposed to his other ribbons. I stole this picture from the forum some time ago.

attachicon.gifpost-387-1287373690.jpg

Note that this rack has the Legion of Merit while the one in the picture I posted does not. Also, the legion of Merit is actually ranked after the Silver Star, not before as worn here.

I've been watching this thread because I thought the ribbon in question was the one next to his Distinguished Service Medal, top right. I've been looking thru photos, threads trying to figure out what it is.

Just to clarify, my original post was to question the ribbon next to the Distinguished Service Medal. My thought was that it was possibly some variation of the Silver Lifesaving Medal with a device attached. It now appears that is wrong for two reasons. First, the ribbon in no way matches the Lifesaving Medal ribbon. And second, it appears the Lifesaving Medal ribbon is under his lapel in the correct position in the picture.

So I think the consensus is that the ribbon in question is a foreign award. But which one and why is it placed there?

The ribbon in question is the one next to the Distinguished Service Medal. That's the one that has been identified as the Grand Luxemburg Cross of the Order of Adolphe of Nassau. The original poster incorrectly thought the ribbon was the Silver Lifesaving Medal ribbon. We then shifted to talk about where the Silver Lifesaving Medal ribbon is. In the original picture, the Silver Lifesaving Medal ribbon is underneath General Patton's lapel.

Note that this rack has the Legion of Merit while the one in the picture I posted does not. Also, the legion of Merit is actually ranked after the Silver Star, not before as worn here.

Just to clarify, my original post was to question the ribbon next to the Distinguished Service Medal. My thought was that it was possibly some variation of the Silver Lifesaving Medal with a device attached. It now appears that is wrong for two reasons. First, the ribbon in no way matches the Lifesaving Medal ribbon. And second, it appears the Lifesaving Medal ribbon is under his lapel in the correct position in the picture.

So I think the consensus is that the ribbon in question is a foreign award. But which one and why is it placed there?

Sean,

The only reason I posted the picture of the other ribbon rack was to show the scale of the width of the Silver Lifesaving Ribbon in comparison to the other ribbons on his rack, not really to show the order in which he wore them. That said, every picture of every one of General Patton's ribbon bar I've ever seen has had the lifesaving ribbon between the PH and the Mexico Service Medal.

We can only imagine how many ribbon racks General Patton had made for is uniforms. We're talking about someone who once designed one of the gaudiest uniforms that would have ever existed in the US Army. I'm sure he had dozens and dozens of ribbon bars made up. As to why he's wearing the foreign award in the position it is in, maybe he did it out of respect to the foreign government that awarded him the medal. General Patton was awarded many foreign awards, and it stands to reason General Patton would show respect to the government awarding them.

A few years ago, a Marine aviator was awarded the UK's Distinguished Flying Cross. When he was photographed after the award ceremony, he was wearing the DFC ribbon in the highest position on his ribbon rack. I'm sure he wears it in the correct position today.

There are times when protocol trumps service regulations. This applies here with Patton and the US Marine noted by dg0223. The Marine wore the British DFC appropriately for the circumstanes -- the presentation of the award by the Queen. Protocol says that you show respect to the issuing nation (and certainly the head of state) in such circumstances. Wearing the DFC last would not show that respect.

With Patton's Luxembourg order, I suspect that a similar circumstance was at work. Patton was, and is still, a major figure in Luxembourg and he understood the power of the symbolism of his wear of the ribbon of the order where he did. It probably was set up that way for a ceremony involving Grand Duchess Charlotte and placed back with his other foreign awards afterwards.

Patton knew medals very well. While some of his ribbon sets are odd, they were not random. There was a reason for what we often see as "wrong", although we may never know precisely what the reason was.

A few years ago, a Marine aviator was awarded the UK's Distinguished Flying Cross. When he was photographed after the award ceremony, he was wearing the DFC ribbon in the highest position on his ribbon rack. I'm sure he wears it in the correct position today.

I remember that discussion on this forum.

Here's another image of General Patton with his 4 star rank and an alternate configuration of his ribbon bar. Notice he isn't wearing a Bronze Star ribbon here:

patton-wearing-service-cap.jpg