WWII Japanese Navy (IJN) Field Cap

History Man

I found this earlier today along with a WWII US 2nd Lt. marked helmet set. This was just pulled out of a barn estate clear out over the weekend, so I guess you could call this "farm fresh." From what the seller told me, the man brought this back from his time on Iwo Jima.

It is an IJN (Japanese Navy) field cap. It is in used condition, while the overall shape is good...the right side has some fabric damage. It has a sewn label inside with writing on it. The cap has a cloth chinstrap which is attached to it. There is a blue band which goes around the entire length of the cap and then a sewn oval with blue/black anchor on it.

Since I do not collect Japanese material for the most part, can anyone shed some light on the cap? I have seen some similar but none that are a match.

Philip

post-25965-0-02045400-1384910174.jpg

From the information on the label, the cap was issued out of the Yokosuka Navy depot in July of 1943.

The second to last column is the man’s name and the last column is his duty station. If I can have it translated for you I will post.

Regards,

Jim

My friend Daniel King wrote:

The tag tells us the following information: It was issued July 1943. He was a volunteer (as opposed to a draftee) was mustered into the Navy at Yokosuka Naval base with a job classification of general sailor. His seriel # is there too, but I can't see it due to the fold.

Hope that Helps!

LF