Unknown Pistol/Web Belt

History Man

This was in a box of WWII pistol belts this morning and I picked it up due to the characteristics of it.

It only has one row of grommets in the center, yet they only go halfway across the belt. The material of the belt is the same as the WW1 Mills belts, and the hardware is blackened.

Any help would be appreciated.

Philip

post-25965-0-00572800-1384899581.jpg

It is a Model 1917 Garrison Belt. It was used for guard duty and would hold two single clip ammo pouches and and a slide to mount the bayonet. It was the last of the garrison belts.

It is a Model 1917 Garrison Belt. It was used for guard duty and would hold two single clip ammo pouches and and a slide to mount the bayonet. It was the last of the garrison belts.

It looks similar, but this is strictly commercial. Look at the stitching and the buckle. But we can confirm easy enough.

Philip, what are the buckles made from, and are the eyelets steel?

RC

Here is a link to an M1917 Garrison belt, note the buckles and brass gromments. http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4528-garrison-belts/?p=173374

The grommets on the issue belt are all the way across and not halfway as on the commercial belt. Another commercial belt variation: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/28813-m1917-garrison-belt-style-commercial-copy/

RC

RC,

To tell you the truth, it is tough to tell what material the buckle and grommets are made from. They look to be a blackened metal, but I am not sure.

Philip

They are magnetic, so I am assuming they are steel.

No worries if it turns out to be commercial, it was a throw-in with some other items I had purchased.

Philip

The hook end for length adjustment looks distinctly Mills Co. But other than that, I have nothing !

Best regards,

Paul Walker

Klamath Falls, Oregon