USAAF A4 QAC HARNESS

littlebuddy

One doc which was almost illegible states that on 3rd October 1944 964 and 794 A-4 harnesses had been received (ETO) on two separate Emergency Request shipping tickets.

• 2 weeks later...

I found some more info to accompany post #25 regarding the marking of harnesses as to not mis-match. Revised technical order 13-5-39 requiring the color coding was effective September 1 1944.

I found some more info to accompany post #25 regarding the marking of harnesses as to not mis-match. Revised technical order 13-5-39 requiring the color coding was effective September 1 1944.

Thanks Dustin ! that makes my A4 quite an early model ???

LB

usually when tech orders are made effective they coincide with standard manufacturing updates within less than 30 days so you can pretty much be assured that contractors were receiving this notification about the same time. The question is ...is your factory or a service upgrade....I'm guessing factory. I would not say early as this type of harness was well into production prior to your harness, early in the sense of having the mandatory color coding. The harness to have would be one without or a bonified depot update

WWII Parachutist

13-5-39 actually first states this back in mid May of 44'. As you said, manufactures generally conformed within approximately 30 days. However, on many harnesses already in use, many times it took months for them to be marked, some being unmarked as late as April 1945. Most of my QAC's show the modification done between July and September of 1944.

Littlebuddy's harness is definitely marked at the factory.

so it appears an additional revision was issued in May 1944, according to the snipet in post #25 the March issue did not. The brief summary of Sept 44 only mentions the inclusion of the color coding so what the difference between the May & Sept. is I have no idea.

There is a huge parachute archive in Ohio that I think has all these tech orders

• 4 months later...
littlebuddy

Finally got my A4 pack for the A4 Harness !! all complete with log book and canopy !

post-106122-0-42473000-1398803987.jpg

littlebuddy

Good stuff Carl. You have been quite patient in finding the right chute pack and it looks to have paid off.

Thanks Rob !! I was pleased that it did have its original LOG BOOK with it too ,so I don't have to use the other one I already have !!

Im very intrigued to see if and what date the canopy has on it !! but I dare not open it all up ,in case I cant put it all back in !! :o

LB

littlebuddy

Very cool Carl. The bomber crewman is ready to roll :)

Now about that Bluenoser fighter pilot... ;)

Just need to find a nice bailout bottle now Dan and I think we are good to go !!

That's the next project Dan !!!! just to find a nice seat type harness and chute !!!

littlebuddy

Finally got to put the harness and pack together today !

post-106122-0-26677300-1399235389.jpg

littlebuddy

Question if anyone into chutes is reading this ???

When the chute is deployed on this type of harness , do the 4 small rivets connecting the "lobster claw hooks " break away from the main part of the harness , so the empty pack is above the user in descent ???

LB

post-106122-0-27228900-1399235821.jpg

Johan Willaert

The bent riveted clips stay on the harness, but the hooks break loose and in their upwards movement take the complete pack with them

The parachute risers are attached to the rings which clip unto the harness hooks, the pack being just an envelop...

littlebuddy

Thanks Johan , that has cleared up he matter nicely !!

Silly question to ask really I suppose ??

LB

Johan Willaert

Check out the top drawing in post 40 of this topic...

Although an A3 harness, the deployment is similar

littlebuddy

It was that picture that got me wondering Johan !! :D thanks again for the help !

LB

WWII Parachutist

As stated, the "Clip - Parachute Harness Connector Snap Retaining ," as it is technically known, stays on the harness. The retaining clip is made from a spring steel so it will keep its shape after numerous uses. It is designed to hold the clip with between 40-60 pounds of force. If you get a good grip on the snap hook you should be able to pop them out by hand.

littlebuddy

As stated, the "Clip - Parachute Harness Connector Snap Retaining ," as it is technically known, stays on the harness. The retaining clip is made from a spring steel so it will keep its shape after numerous uses. It is designed to hold the clip with between 40-60 pounds of force. If you get a good grip on the snap hook you should be able to pop them out by hand.

Well what do you know ? so you can !! thanks Joshua !! much appreciated

LB

• 1 month later...
littlebuddy

beautiful set, I need to get myself back into AAF. Great info as well.

Thank you for the kind words regarding my harness and pack , yes, there is some great information in this thread isnt there ??! :)

LB