USAAF A4 QAC HARNESS

littlebuddy

By the time the A-4 was standardized in December 1944 (some test batches were run before this date), color coding of harnesses at the factory level had been been going on for nearly a year.

Interesting info! the docs I have discuss the A-4 at least a year prior to December 44.

WWII Parachutist

littlebuddy,
Yes, the risers are supposed to go through the loops like that. It was a great improvement over the A-3, which required hand tacking with thread to keep them in place. The D-rings are there for life raft attachment.

Dustin - What you refer to is the modification of the A-4 with an improved bang box, correct? Originally too much force was required to operate it and these were modified to operate under 10-15 pounds of torque and 27-33 pounds to depress the button.

littlebuddy,

Yes, the risers are supposed to go through the loops like that. It was a great improvement over the A-3, which required hand tacking with thread to keep them in place. The D-rings are there for life raft attachment.

Dustin - What you refer to is the modification of the A-4 with an improved bang box, correct? Originally too much force was required to operate it and these were modified to operate under 10-15 pounds of torque and 27-33 pounds to depress the button.

Referring to the "bang box " mine takes one hell of a thump to release it !! is it because of the age or is it an pre modified version Joshua ??

I am stepping out of my comfort zone on this topic, I used these docs for emergency equipment and life rafts not paying much attention to parachutes so I didn't process that info so be gentle. The excerpts posted above just happened to be on a doc that had relevant info to me.

I was trying to present that A-4 harnesses with quick release boxes were being modified and manufactured late 1943 thru 1944 and from other doc's discussing expedited shipping to UK only 1-2 weeks. This is relevant to a comment made by Johan wondering if harnesses reach the ETO before VE-day. Both modified and factory made harnesses reached the ETO prior to VE-day, modified in 1943 and factory mid-late 1944.

I am stepping out of my comfort zone on this topic, I used these docs for emergency equipment and life rafts not paying much attention to parachutes so I didn't process that info so be gentle. The excerpts posted above just happened to be on a doc that had relevant info to me.

I was trying to present that A-4 harnesses with quick release boxes were being modified and manufactured late 1943 thru 1944 and from other doc's discussing expedited shipping to UK only 1-2 weeks. This is relevant to a comment made by Johan wondering if harnesses reach the ETO before VE-day. Both modified and factory made harnesses reached the ETO prior to VE-day, modified in 1943 and factory mid-late 1944.

Hey Dustin its all great info for me buddy !!! im trying to take it all in and learn as much as I can on the item that I have !! thank you very much !!

LB

WWII Parachutist

Referring to the "bang box " mine takes one hell of a thump to release it !! is it because of the age or is it an pre modified version Joshua ??

Most likely age....it can be easy for grit to get into the grease, and with time the grease will become crusty, both of which clog the mechanism. This was one of the major reasons the Navy rejected the quick release and stayed with three-point snap hook harness. Some bang boxes actually have the part numbers "x" over and the new one stamped on top of it!

WWII Parachutist

Great information Dustin, I hope I didn't come across as being hard on you. BTW, astounding emergency equipment collection!

Oh no, I don't know the technical aspects so cannot get into that discussion. I was sharing what info I had found to help shed more light on other peoples interests. I cannot discuss the exact context as your rebuttal in post #28.I will spend some time in the near future and put together a timeline of parachutes from the eyes of the 8th Air Force Service Command . Some of the documents have break downs on what bombardment and fighter groups had in stock monthly.

So I went through the documents from the 8th service command and pull some of the highlights regarding the quick release modification. This first series of documents is the earliest I have on the modification dated December 1942.

post-56-0-70764200-1386530798.jpg

An exchange program was created in early 1943, American harnesses would be submitted to the RAF for the Observer type. The RAF would then modify the American harnesses keeping a constant rotation as basically outlined here.

post-56-0-95064200-1386531338.jpg