"Hold on tight shipmates!"

Sabrejet

It might be stupid question, but what happens to the stuff in the galley and other "movables" when a ship performs such maneuvers?! :o

It might be stupid question, but what happens to the stuff in the galley and other "movables" when a ship performs such maneuvers?! :o

They announce over the 1MC (the "speaker system") that the ship is about to maneuver: "Standby for heavy rolls as the ship comes about..." (or something to that effect...) At that point, the folks in the galley know to hold on tight! (Of course, we do take into consideration meal times when planning underway replenishment maneuvering...)

For those who aren't prepared...yes, the sound of stuff falling on the deck is heard very often when this happens...

My Grandfather told me of an incident heading on a ship to Germany, where in a storm, everyone had the runs, and apparently staying on a toilet seat can be a major concern that was noticed as men slid all across the floor. not fun, not fun at all. no one really thinks of this sort of thing unless youre in the navy.

vostoktrading

Read 'The wreck of the Memphis' then report back! GO!

That was a great book. Written by Edward Beach, jr., the author of "Run silent, run deep".

His dad was the captain of the Memphis.

The sea can be unpredictable and dangerous.

Here's Edward Beach. How's that patch he's wearing!?!

Also a pic of a nice big wave.

post-7885-0-45978500-1384913552.jpg

post-7885-0-79183000-1384913612.jpg

I watched a thing on rogue waves on discovery, apparently they do have a couple of them caught on video, just wanted to see if any of you guys had the experience.

According to info provided by Tom Sanders;

This aircraft was off the coast of California in 1971. The VS-38 S-2 was launched from the USS Ticonderoga. The Pilot and Copilot hatches were open on launch and the cockpit was filled with water. The aircraft struggled and recovered a few feet above the water. The S-2 had to fly to San Diego and was eventually removed from service. The pilot was LCDR Guy Wilcox.

Simply amazing. I bet the pucker factor was off the charts on that launch!!

post-9529-0-72820500-1385072458.jpg

Those Tico CGs rode hard in heavy seas (my ship above). Their notorious shimmy/shake when the bow rose out of the water was unnerving for some of the saltiest sailors. I was burdened with an iron stomach and was subsequently pushed me into doubling up my watch standing during these storms. I did really enjoy the pitching and rolling. I slept like a baby during those time. I did have to shove my boots under my mattress to give it an upward angle that would help to hold me in place. For those who failed to do so...their bodies make an awful sound when they hit the deck...especially from the top (3rd) rack!