AAF 1-3/8' Glider wings

doinworkinvans

And more example that the AAFers attached everything to their garrison caps. Here is the AAF photo from Normandy where AAF servicemen check German shelter. One of them has officer's "U.S." collar pin attached to his garrison cap.

post-75-0-15144100-1385561518.jpg

post-75-0-04635900-1385561530.jpg

doinworkinvans

Dude that is so awesome! THanks so much for showing these....

Would you mind sharing some more of your Garrison caps or are they located somewhere else on the forum??

Dude that is so awesome! THanks so much for showing these....

:) Here you have more if you like so much AAF garrison caps (like me ;) )

At first main photo -- the 379th BG, 8th AF, England, 20 Octpber, 1943.

post-75-0-59592300-1385758055.jpg

Doinworkinvans,

Here is something especially for you -- how and where to use your miniature GP wings you have just bought (if you are reenactor for instance).

Below there is Comiso airfield, Sicily, 1943. Generals Beverly, Patton, and Spaatz visit that AAF base during airborne manoeuvres. Two glider pilots can be seen as well and take a look what one of them has over left pocket... ;)

Regards

Gregory

post-75-0-16233300-1386111550.jpg

post-75-0-61217900-1386111560.jpg

doinworkinvans

Doinworkinvans,

Here is something especially for you -- how and where to use your miniature GP wings you have just bought (if you are reenactor for instance).

Below there is Comiso airfield, Sicily, 1943. Generals Beverly, Patton, and Spaatz visit that AAF base during airborne manoeuvres. Two glider pilots can be seen as well and take a look what one of them has over left pocket... ;)

Regards

Gregory

:) :)

Gregory you find the best stuff man!!

doinworkinvans

maybe we should start a picture thread for all un-approved devices on garrison/overseas caps? :o

-Brian

Hey-ooooooo!!!

I couldn't agree more!

doinworkinvans

Thanks Brian! I hope this takes off!

Gregory post some more of your stuff on this new thread especially for odd stuff on garrison caps!

Lets get that thread going :)

bschwartz,

Maybe I am wrong but in my opinion those wings are too small to be 2". Maybe they are not necessarily 1 3/8" as discussed here, maybe they are 1 1/2" or 1 3/4" but 2" seems to me too large. Proportions between centre shield of wings and shirt buton would indicate something from the catalog of unauthorized miniature wings.

Regards

Gregory

PS.

Sorry but malfunction of "Quote" function in the forum script does not allow me to reply with original quotation.

I measured one of my 2" glider pilot wings and the shield was dead on one cm wide. Then I measured the button on one of the WW2 era shirts that I have and it was one and a half cm wide. Given the angle this photo was taken at it's really hard to determine exact sizes but I still think it's likely a 2" wing. Not that it diminishes the use of the small size wings (less than 2") during the war. Those suckers were used a lot on the garrison cap. I've just never seen anyone wearing them on a shirt. On a tie, yes, but not on a shirt. Anyhow, enjoy the hunt. You can get these things for a song so they're a fun little collectible and as far as I know people haven't started faking them yet. And in this hobby that's always a big "yet".