AAF 1-3/8' Glider wings

doinworkinvans

doinworkinvans

Where would have these have been worn? Very Small. Marked sterling - pinback. What would have been the purpose of these wings? For the hat?? Any pictures noting as so...? Thanks!

I have seen small wings worn on the shirts.Also some would unofficially wear them on the overseas caps.I have posted a set of small wings that were worn on a parachute oval by a vet.I even have a poor photo copy of a local vet wearing a small glider pilot wing on his uniform.I would guess they did this more for the picture as he was part of the 194th Glider infantry.Probably didnt have the glider badge yet so they wore the little wings instead for his photo.He stated it was a picture he had sent home to his parents.Im thinking the wings I have on the oval maybe 1 -1/2 "

I have seen small wings worn on the shirts.Also some would unofficially wear them on the overseas caps.

That's right. In the USAAF forum there is a thread on miniature wings on the OS caps, various, not only GP ones.

BTW -- those miniature wings were worn when a GI had pipingless variant of his OS cap. It was like a manifesto to show "I am from the AAF" when AAF piping could not inform about it. Below you have an example of B-24 crewman.

post-75-0-97742300-1384848480.jpg

doinworkinvans

Intersting picutres! THanks for the picture evidence! Especially the small GP wings as that is what mine are!

doinworkinvans

I also really really like that hat with the AAF patch on it. Is that a mini patch or just the way the picutre is taken?

I also really really like that hat with the AAF patch on it. Is that a mini patch or just the way the picutre is taken?

This OS AAF cap I bought "as is" with this miniature AAF patch sewn, but the other USMFers (at least Ian) have such AAF OS caps as well. I collect AAF Garrison/OS caps and those miniature patches. What can you see in my photo above is 1 6/8" diameter. But there were two diameter standards for those miniature patches -- 1 6/8" and 1 7/8". If you want I will take a photo for you of both standards.

Regards

Gregory

Were these officially authorized??

I do not know unfortunately (uniform Gurus to help!), but what I can tell certainly those miniature patches have always been attached to the pipingless AAF OS caps, both EM and officer's ones. So, one more time I would say that they were a substitute of AAF piping and personal manifesto of given USAAFer "I am from AAF".

Wait please for my photo for you.

Regards

Greg

The glider wing was an officers' aviation qualification device, really not meant for enlisted men! Maybe Privates got away with it because it was too small for their Sergeants to notice!? With regard to Greg's cap, the wing is on the right side so it's conceivable that it was worn by a F/O as the rank could have been displayed on the other side?

Dan...half-size AAF HQ cap patches exist. I've got a garrison cap with one on. Greg's appears to be twill, mine is regular full-embroidered.

doinworkinvans

I am starting to like garrison caps more and more!! I remember the thread on here about the guy attaching the "airborne" tab to it. So I guess putting the small AAF patch on it wouldnt be out of the question! I need to find me one of these!!!

Yes, you are right, it was discussed here -- it is unbelievable what they (AAFers mainly) attached to their OS caps. Everything! :D

This is why I love OS caps as well... :rolleyes:

doinworkinvans

Yes, you are right, it was discussed here -- it is unbelievable what they (AAFers mainly) attached to their OS caps. Everything! :D

This is why I love OS caps as well... :rolleyes:

Is the correct term OS cap or Garrison Cap?

The fact that they attached all sorts of stuff is intriguing, but would also scare me from collecting as people could attach anything and say its "original" :blink:

Is the correct term OS cap or Garrison Cap?

"Cap, garrison. The prescribed materials, both summer and winter, are as stated above for the service cap. It is authorized for wear by all personel. (This is the former field or "overseas" cap)."

Quotation:

The Officer's Guide, 9th edition, July 1942, page 141

With regard to Greg's cap, the wing is on the right side so it's conceivable that it was worn by a F/O as the rank could have been displayed on the other side?

Yes, there was a bar there. I bought it many years ago, not in auction, "as is", and before explosion of airborne mania in ex-Allied countries of WWII. The cap left side has two holes from single bar -- the GPs were WOJG, CWO, FO, 2nd and 1st Lts, so it is hard to say what was there. Unfortunately somebody took rank insignia and left right side of this cap. Today I use it with various single bars for reenactment events. I like this cap very much because I know only two photograps where AAF's metal insignia on garrison caps were on black background.

Thank you Gregory for sharing these pictures with us!

I do a little contribute posting these hat-sized Glider Pilot wings by Walter Lampl.

post-104661-0-48483800-1384966854.jpg

Thank you Gregory for sharing these pictures with us!

My pleasure :)

I do not want to violate the USAAF forum rights so I will not re-post it here but below there is a link to AAF forum thread where more miniature wings worn on garrison caps can be seen.

http://forum.armyairforces.com/Need-help-with-group-photo-identification-m157529.aspx?high=garrison+cap

Best regards

Gregory

The fact that they attached all sorts of stuff is intriguing, but would also scare me from collecting as people could attach anything and say its "original" :blink:

This is the collector's know-how and magical knowledge... :D

The USAAFers wore really everything on their garrison caps, nobody penalized it. Would you ever expect that they wore EM collar discs with the "U.S." on their garrison caps? I know two such photographs -- one of them posted below. Yes, they attached sometimes EM collar discs to their garrison caps but with the AAF branch insignia, I do have such a cap as well in my collection. But with the "U.S."? It is ultrarare situation but not impossible as can be seen.

:)

post-75-0-70438800-1385202332.jpg

post-75-0-71797700-1385202346.jpg