Headset, Type HS-33

Sabrejet

Here's the classic "look" of a low-altitude AAF pilot...maybe of a C-47 or an L-4 Grasshopper? (definitely not a B-17 or a B-24 over Berlin or wherever, as in the movies!) I acquired the pristine HS-33 headset at the Malvern show, yesterday. Apparently, it still works! The seller messes about with vintage radio equipment and has tested them.

The HS-33 comprises of an HB-7 sprung headband fitted with ANB-H-1 receivers and their distinctive red PL-354 jack-plug. (Headsets with the earlier R-14 receivers feature a black PL-54 jack-plug) A variety of ear cushions were fitted to these headsets. Maybe some of you saw the sponge-foam set I posted last week which are slowly "melting" as the 70 year old compound naturally decomposes! Regular rubber, as seen here, is much more durable.

The display also comprises of an officer's khaki summer service cap...not a "true" crusher, but one with its stiffener removed and which was already formed into a nice crushed shape when I acquired it years ago.

The shades are aviators' issue AN-6531s made by American Optical Co.

Around the neck is a T-30S throat-mic attached to a SW-141 "press-to-talk" switch box.

post-8022-0-18743700-1384778327.jpg

post-8022-0-55766700-1384778328.jpg

Johan Willaert

There are pics of then in use Johan. In fact, there's one in Mathieu's new "Flight Gear" book.

Great! Still need to get the book but I have a hunch it will be under the Christmas tree.... :dry:

Great! Still need to get the book but I have a hunch it will be under the Christmas tree.... :dry:

It will be worth the wait Johan...trust me!

Here's the classic "look" of a low-altitude AAF pilot...maybe of a C-47 or an L-4 Grasshopper? (definitely not a B-17 or a B-24 over Berlin or wherever, as in the movies!)...

...and for all low- and medium-altitude L-Birds, O-Birds, T-Birds, C-Birds as well as gliders.

A very nice set Ian, congratulations. I do have similar minty set. Today many times HS-33s are offered with postwar non-US plugs, usually Japanese-made ones.

Regards

Greg

...and for all low- and medium-altitude L-Birds, O-Birds, T-Birds, C-Birds as well as gliders.

A very nice set Ian, congratulations. I do have similar minty set. Today many times HS-33s are offered with postwar non-US plugs, usually Japanese-made ones.

Regards

Greg

Thank you Greg. I didn't know that!