551st/503rd Rigger Pouches

possum

I'm interested in trying to find out some information on the custom ammo pouches used by troops in the 517th and 503rd. Does anyone have anything they'd be happy to share? Particularly interested if there are any original examples remaining, either in personal collections or museums.

Thanks in advance

Ian! Ha! Nice try! They are being reproduced, but more on a cottage industry basis than widespread.

Johan, I made a mistake, they are in fact the ammo pouches used by the 551st and 503rd, not 517th (as far as I'm aware...) and 503rd.

They are the types seen below:

113892721_zps0372b94d.jpg

503rd_2_zpsedffa238.jpg

pm5_zpsff9166de.jpg

To the best of my knowledge, they were manufactured in Australia and possibly Panama by the para maintenance sections, to increase ammo carrying capacity. I think there might be a few pictures of a possible original in MDT's FABTF book, but don't know if it's definitely confirmed. I'm unaware of any other potential surviving examples, and would be curious to know any more about them, and if there indeed any confirmed originals in existence.

Johan Willaert

Yes, there are some in MDT's Southern France book and those are now on display in the refurbished La Gleize museum...

I know of no others...

Johan, thanks very much for then information. Sadly, I'm not surprised so few survived, but it's good to know the only examples are bring taken care of. Just so happens I may have an opportunity to go see them next year, so the details are appreciated.