Vietcong weapons cache 68'

ThompsonSavage

ThompsonSavage

Nice photograph of a VC weapons cache captured by the 9th Inf Div during February 1968. From ebay auction by liberty_uniques.

M16, Thompson M1A1, M1 Carbine, Grease Gun (or possible MAT 49...)

post-45626-0-89759200-1384768749.jpg

Which 9th Infantry? American or Korean?

I got excited there for a second because I'm in the 9th Infantry (Korean) division currently. We were at Vietnam as well.

ThompsonSavage

Charlie could get almost any weapon working, regardles of condition. Some of their selfmade firearms are just incredible, considering the conditions they had to work in and the materials they had at hand.

I spy an M1917A1 tripod and cradle in the photo. I wonder where the Browning is that was mounted on it. Regarding the capability of the VC for making and maintaining weapons, somebody posted photos of a 1911ish pistol made in a Vietcong jungle workshop some time ago. As I recall, it was in .45 ACP and was a straight blowback (yikes!).

Note a lot of old stuff. I don't see a AK or SKS in the pile. Its like romper room. I see a thompson, carbines, maybe a K98, maybe a Carcano and a lot of other weapons but I'd bet the VC we were killing in 68 were using AK's and SKS's.

For those of our members who where being shot out by the VC in 68 what are your thoughts.

Charlie could get almost any weapon working, regardles of condition. Some of their selfmade firearms are just incredible, considering the conditions they had to work in and the materials they had at hand.

I've seen so many absolutely incredible jungle made weapons. I have a neat folding stock rifle cobbled together from an SVT-40, Sten, and Bren. I also have the .45 pictured below. There is an exquisite one on GB right now - the detail is as fantastic as mine is crude. I also saw in a collection years ago a fantastic jungle made smg - I wish that I had taken a photo of it, it was so beautiful. But most are crude, utilitarian pieces, but also very interesting and collectable. post-56764-0-08960200-1385568742.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
USCapturephotos

Anyone ever hear of the story of the US soldier in Vietnam who was also a Civil War buff...who when discovering a VC weapons cache they stumbled across some Civil War era British made Enfield rifle muskets? The theory was that they were being used for training purposes only. He brought one back as his "souvenir" from the war and said the rest were destroyed....I saw this years ago in one of the Civil War North South Trader publications.

Paul

US and Coalition forces found muskets in Afghanistan and Iraq, so the Vietnam story could be plausible...

I have seen rifles stamped from the 1870s in Iraq. We found just about any rifle you could imagine, I'm sure there was some civil war era burried somewhere as well. Who knows how it got there, but it was there. VN I would assume to not be any different.

I see at least 2 K98's as well. Had a collector friend who has since passed that was a PBR vet. He brought home a Nazi-proofed 1938 K98 he captured from a junk in 1969.

Manchu Warrior

At the old Ordnance Museum at APG they had an incredible collection of Viet Cong home made weapons.

• 3 weeks later...