"Jeep in a crate".....(2)

Sabrejet

I've heard from a couple guys at MVPA shows that the 'jeep in a crate' is mostly a myth. Most of what could be gotten after ww2 was already used.

• 2 weeks later...

Smith and Edwards is a big Army surplus store near Ogden Utah, years ago, I was parked in the front lot with my 42 GPW, several people came up and asked where I bought it and how much I paid, I told them honestly that I had paid $300 for it, then I ad libed telling them that I bought there. Of course I was asked if there were any more, and I told them that there were, but they had to talk to the right people, because not every one knew about them. A couple of years later, I became friends with the fellow in charge of the back yard, and while sitting in his office talking about jeeps, he mentions that people still came asking to by jeeps new in the crate, and they would not believe him when he told them that there were none. At this point I started to snicker, and he looked sternly at me and asked, "what do you know about this?" I told him the story, and I think he had a good humor about it as he did not throw me out. One of these days I think I will do the same with my M1917 ambulance.

The jeeps new in the crate are still out there if you believe hard enough:)

El Bibliotecario

A couple years ago I initiated a post soliciting comments on the jeeps-in-crates legend. I created a monster--the thread ran forever. I don't want to go there again--but coincidentally I recently read a book on wartime US industrial mobilization which, in a discussion of priorizing shipping space, mentioned it was found that significantly fewer ships were needed to ship knocked-down crated trucks; an assembly, or rather, a reassembly line was established in England. So crated vehicles apparently did exist at one time--*laff*--and I'll leave it at that.

As for the jeep in the original post, I could care less whether the parts are original; I think its the caterpillers spats.

• 1 month later...

The reproduction body tub kit comes in a crate, so technically not a lie. I can't believe mostly replica jeeps are selling for over 25K.

I was at J & P Cycles vintage motorcycle show two years ago and there it was, a 640 Indian and sitting beside it in lawn chains was a WWII vet and his son. I got talking to them and the Indian was purchase after the war in the crate by the WWII vet.

The Vet said he put it together and used it on his farm to check on the cattle and round them up if need be and never rode it on the highway it looked used but was all original.

Craig