Mighty Eighth (2014 Movie) Trailer

Garandomatic

Trouble is, BoB could not be re-made today using real airplanes, plus the restrictions imposed by "health and safety" regulations.!

Why not? Carolyn Grace can film her flights by Spitfire, why movie producers have to be restricted?

So...enter CGI. That's progress?!

Ian,

I believe that CGI, green screen backgrounds, etc are the future. It is much cheaper to edit the film than use actual backgrounds. Now movies are made in 2 story buildings where the background is turned into sky scrapers and an entirely different city. Battlefields with a hundred actors as red coats are turned into an American Revolution background with thousands of troops. An independent producer with no big studio backing can make a low budget film using CGI. Hopefully, the CGI will improve over the years but IMO this is the way of the future in the movie industry.

...Kat

I liked the fog while they were breathing, but the lack of O2 masks... MAN, when is Hollywood ever going to get the memo that people have to wear masks at a certain altitiude?

And that B-17 flopping down onto the other one and it barely moves? Looked like something out of a cartoon!

And that B-17 flopping down onto the other one and it barely moves? Looked like something out of a cartoon!

In reality, after such a mid-air collision, both bombers would be literally pulverized and atomized in .01 second. But not in this movie. In this movie they glued between them and all is well for them, they fly together... :lol: Movie for children, although it offends the children as well because in modern world nobody is an idiot.

There's plenty of gut-wrenching WW2 combat footage which graphically shows what happens to a B-17 when hit by flak. The director and CGI "artists" obviously did not do their homework.

There's plenty of gut-wrenching WW2 combat footage which graphically shows what happens to a B-17 when hit by flak. The director and CGI "artists" obviously did not do their homework.

As I said, it doesn't appear that filming has actually commenced. What you see is a 'teaser' according to the link.

RC

....and the Kassel bombings were in '43.

But as I said before...... the movie does not look like a documentary. Just some pulp entertainment. Take it for what it is folks.

At least they are making some movies on the subject. I for one am geeked they are even tying to get it made.

Well at least it iasn't "The Memphis Bell" which I waited for with much anticipation only to be soooo let down. This looks intense. I can't wait!

Ronnie

Yes, the laundry list of Barbara Streisand is long enough to kill more than a few digital trees. I'll watch it and be entertained, in much the same way that I like to curl up on the couch on a rainy Saturday and watch the ad-hoc commando team of 82nd Airborne, Rangers, 1st Special Service Force, and prison convicts penetrate deep into enemy territory to take out the hidden lair of giant genetically enhanced alien/werewolf Nazis on the Sci-fy channel. At that point, the more hokum, the better. If we're really lucky, half of this hapless B-17 box formation will be wiped out by north sea sharks thrust up through the open bomb bay doors by a freak windstorm. I flat-out freakin' LOVE that sort of movie. Movies are can be great, good, bad.. but then if they get bad enough in all the right ways, somehow that makes them good again. ;)

Seriously, I think the reason so many of us get our meticulously reproduced knickers in a twist is that we feel some sense of ownership of these subjects and time periods. For better or worse, we are not the legal guardians of military history, so they don't need our permission to pimp out WWII.

If the acting is bad, props are inaccurate, or just overall they demonstrate a complete and utter lack of comprehension of history, aerodynamics, tactical doctrine, period slang, radio protocol, etc., then that's on them. If they royally screw it up and then fail to add enough sharks, aliens, or zombies to balance out the scales, then the movie will auger in. If they manage to do it right (and also happen to have a good story, good characters, and good acting), then we collectors will be a small part of the grass-roots social media PR that generates good buzz for the movie.

We all WANT profoundly moving, well-shot, well-written and beautifully acted films about subjects that we love that also happen to go the extra mile and get every little detail correct that they possibly can, to suspend the disbelief of even the most well-informed audience member. That rarely happens. Sometimes they get pretty close, and as collectors, historians, and movie fans, we sincerely appreciate it. When they miss completely, though, it isn't a blight on the subject or something that will permanently sear misinformation into the public at large. J Q Public will have forgotten half of it before he finishes emptying his bladder, assuming he didn't get caught in the middle of an aisle where the dorks on the sides want to sit and watch the credits.

Any new converts who become interested in the subject will quickly find out all that was done wrong, then they can feel great because they will know that they are smarter than the director, writer, prop department, and actors put together. Maybe they will join the forum.

Well put. The producers/directors /designers of modern-made war movies set in WW2 never seem to be able to get it quite right in terms of the attention to detail which soooo bugs we "geeky" viewers! I understand that there are limitations with regard to the availability of certain types of hardware, hence CGI or fiber-glass replicas etc., but the more "intimate" details such as uniforms and insignia etc?! The repro industry is pretty extensive these days and there's almost nothing "GI" that can't be got! Some of it is of very good quality and on the silver screen would be indistinguishable from the real thing. For example, a B-17 crew could be kitted out in Eastman B3s....perfect in every respect...but they seem to opt for the cheaper and therefore less authentic alternative look-alikes. TV drama producers/ directors/designers seem to do a whole lot better with much smaller budgets. Take two current and well-known British tv dramas (which I believe a re quite popular in the US too?) "Downton Abbey" and "Poirot" (Agatha Christie's famous Belgian detective) Their period settings are absolutely stunningly authentic...an object lesson in tv production par excellence! If that kind of attention to detail could be applied to a contemporary war movie, then we'd all be smiling. I await "Fury" with bated breath!

I await "Fury" with bated breath!

The best Western costumers and best Polish costumers, historians, collectors, reenactors and costume makers worked very hard at this movie so I hope final effect will be good.

The best Western costumers and best Polish costumers, historians, collectors, reenactors and costume makers worked very hard at this movie so I hope final effect will be good.

Certainly looks good in the stills which have been released...plus they've gone the extra mile to make sure the tanks are correct...no T34s dressed up as Tigers!

Certainly looks good in the stills which have been released...plus they've gone the extra mile to make sure the tanks are correct...no T34s dressed up as Tigers!

A friend of mine (MSc historian, collector, WWII reenctor and a kind of VIP in the Polish costume industry) worked hard at this movie so I know various things about this movie but I have to be loyal and cannot release embargoed pieces of information. My collection served as well to consult manufacturing of the costumes for "Fury".

• 2 months later...
airborneaviator

Well disregarding the atrocious flight gear, all in all it looks like a decent movie. I'm looking forward to seeing a movie about the eighth that had some action in it.