Mighty Eighth (2014 Movie) Trailer

Garandomatic

Don't think this has been posted yet, a buddy told me to look for it. Any thoughts amongst the order?

From the grittiness of it all, I imagine it will draw some attention to the gore that was the air war. Kind of hard to see even CGI B-17s get knocked out. On that note, my feelings on the CGI aspect of it are a bit mixed, but I guess assembling enough real-deal planes is truly impossible. I just hope they are animated realistically.

Can't even begin to point out all that was wrong with that clip. 1942? I know it's just entertainment but they gotta do better then that in terms of detail.

doinworkinvans

I for one enjoyed it and would love to see this....

There's plenty of threads recently where people can whine about stuff not being "correct ".

Why can't people just enjoy television for what it is...its entertainment. Its not 1944 anymore. Sure it'd great if it was all perfect, but come on just enjoy it for what it is.

I think we have to remember that this series, like all other TV shows, is being made as entertainment to the masses. It isn't being directed towards "historians" and if most definitely isn't meant to be a documentary. I'm not sure why they changed the year of the Kassel run but maybe it has something to do with the timeline of the rest of the series. My guess is they picked the B-17 over the B-24 because more people will recognize the B-17. Either way, I've thoroughly enjoyed BOB and The Pacific and look forward to the new series.

If you are telling the story of the 8th there are some basics. It was cold up there. Nothing in those clips reflected that incredible cold. No one was on oxygen. They didn't survive at those altitudes without it. The interior of a B17 is cramped. Note the guy went forward and there was no top turret to get around as he stood by the pilot. The cockpit area in a fully equipped 17 was cramped.

If you are telling thier story I think it's important to set the tone right as to the world they fought in

That doesn't even go near the other detail stuff that looks shaky. Is this supposed to be the Spielberg/Hanks collaboration? Considering their attention to detail to frame the stories I have high expectations

38Driver...I agree the B17 us cramped but I think they need a little "space" to film and they probably wanted the viewer to see the expressions and terror on the actor's faces...hence, no oxygen masks. Artistic license I suppose.

This isn't the Hanks Spielberg mini series, this is a trailer for another film coming out next year called the mighty eighth. I believe the HBO series is called masters of the air and hasn't even started shooting yet.

Despite the inaccuracies this one looks pretty entertaining but I get the feeling this one will be coming to a supermarket dvd section near you instead of a theatre.

Having had the honor of being assigned to Headquarters 8th Air Force SAC and having walked through the hallway that is hung with the pictures of the commanders of the Mighty 8th, I will watch anything that has the men and machines of the Mighty 8th in it.

I too picked up they had to be around 12,000 feet because they weren't on O2 and the waist positions were glassed in but oh well.

The B-17 carrying other B-17 on its back for so many seconds -- absurdity. It is like from stupid computer games. Aerial situation graphics -- much worse than in "Memphis Belle".

The "Memphis Belle" is worth Oscar Award and permanent replicating similar movies (a very poor "Fortress" movie of 2012 for instance) must be ineffective.

doinworkinvans

Sure, do I wish it was correct and they had on their oxygen? Yes! Do I wish that a B17 was not riding on the back of another? Yes!

Is this an entertainment movie? Yes!

We have to remember as bad as we want all military movies to be correct they never will be. They are made by the masses for the masses!

Everybody would like to connect herself under the great success of the "Memphis Belle" but it is impossible, simply impossible. The "Memphis Belle" has been unique and one of a kind and nobody is able to produce a mutant of MB with such a great success.

:)

Trooper B.A.R

What seems like minutes, maybe split seconds when they both went down. Artistic licenses are sometimes used to show horror, scenes(s) longer then actually time. As to the cockpit area, unless your talking about the back of pilot and co-pilot area, its shown pretty realistic the area of the pilot and co-pilot, having flown these.

I was mistaken about this being the miniseries, I guess I just assumed because the miniseries is the only project on this topic I was aware of, and I figure I'd have heard about another project. Makes me feel a little better to hold out hope that the Spielberg effort will be more factually based.

That being said, I'm not such a stickler that I can't enjoy a movie with inaccuracies, but the rest of this had better be pretty special to make me ask my folks to watch the kids while I drag the wife out to see it. Changing a mission's date that far and the type of aircraft that was there are pretty major issues to me, personally. Why not make it about Schweinfurt, Regensberg, Stuttgart, etc. in 1943? Wouldn't cost a nickel extra, I figure, to at least get the events that the movie is "inspired by" in the right ballpark, or even neighborhood.

Trooper B.A.R

I was mistaken about this being the miniseries, I guess I just assumed because the miniseries is the only project on this topic I was aware of, and I figure I'd have heard about another project. Makes me feel a little better to hold out hope that the Spielberg effort will be more factually based.

That being said, I'm not such a stickler that I can't enjoy a movie with inaccuracies, but the rest of this had better be pretty special to make me ask my folks to watch the kids while I drag the wife out to see it. Changing a mission's date that far and the type of aircraft that was there are pretty major issues to me, personally. Why not make it about Schweinfurt, Regensberg, Stuttgart, etc. in 1943? Wouldn't cost a nickel extra, I figure, to at least get the events that the movie is "inspired by" in the right ballpark, or even neighborhood.

I agree. Seems twisting History is the norm lately.

All these movies are like the Boeing's product placement. Nobody sees in Hollywood that B-17 was not the only one bomber of WWII?

"Air Force" -- movie on B-17

"Memphis Belle" -- on B-17

"Fortress" -- on B-17

"Mighty Eight" -- on B-17

Where are the movies on B-24?

:)

If you are telling the story of the 8th there are some basics. It was cold up there. Nothing in those clips reflected that incredible cold. No one was on oxygen. They didn't survive at those altitudes without it.

That's right. The Hollywooders have no clue what temperature gradient is, but where are technical-historical consultants? The same goes for oxygen. The crewmen are connected to nowhere -- neither to portable walk-around bottles (A-4, A-6, D-2) nor to main oxygen supply system from 18 G-1 cylinders.

Trooper B.A.R

Except for "The War Lovers", one would be made to believe, what with the way the pilot's and Co-pilots dress, that the cockpit area is pressurized. They're never dressed correctly, against the cold, nor flak.

They're never dressed correctly, against the cold, nor flak.

In "The Rear Gunner" movie Ronald Reagan piloted B-24 wearing summer shirt only... :o:lol:

"Memphis Belle" was what...20 years ago? This is "Son of...." That's progress? I don't think so! I hope Messrs Hanks & Speilberg take note!

They're never dressed correctly, against the cold, nor flak.

Do not be surprised. This year I was asked to show my minty M1943 field jacket (contract date November 14, 1943) for the Hollywood producers of the movie discussed here and which will be aired soon, a well-known movie produced by noted team. I was asked to show my jacket to manufacture proper costumes for this movie. What I heard? The jacket has wrong color and has too small pockets for movie... :lol::lol::lol: