WW2 Major League Baseball Ruptured Duck patches

ocsfollowme

I own one of these large white ruptured duck patch, I received mine with a small grouping of items from a navy Iwo vet who was on an attack transport. Always wondered what it was used for.

Leonardo

We need those 1945 9-1 season RAMS here in Cleveland really bad. I'm a frustrated Cleveland Browns fan!

Ever since Jim Brown retired, Cleveland has been cursed. I suppose that the same could be said of Bob Feller.

I am a lifelong Rams fan going back to the Fearsome Foursome and Roman Gabriel (the old blue and white uniforms instilled by George Allen).

• 2 months later...
ocsfollowme

I guess to wrap up this thread, the only verified worn ruptured duck patch that was actually worn in MLB, was the large blue one that I previously posted in #46-47. I cannot find any photographic evidence of the large white one being worn. Be that those would have been worn on away jerseys...teams really did not buy into wearing these...so they could have been produced for the intent to wear but it never happened.

There are two variations of the large white ones. You can get one on eBay for a BIN of $10-15 but I have found NO evidence (Cooperstown does not have a white one in their archives) that these were worn at all.

Now, I want to add an NFL version....PM me if you have one =)

• 1 year later...

Still researching this.

Found this link. Apparent Mr. Wrigley himself ordered 300 of these for the National League but it never caught on and the teams did not want to promote the veterans over players that did not serve. So it was very short lived. Meanwhile, I know the Yankees in the American League wore these. Were 300 made for that American League too? Branch Rickey was against the wearing of the insignia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Branch_Rickey

https://baseballhall.org/discover/ruptured-duck-patch

post-122868-0-41501600-1512503984_thumb.jpg

It could be possible that 600 of these insignia were created. We know that only a few dozen players even wore the blue insignia. If the American and National leagues decided against wearing the patch I am sure they were quickly collected and taken out of circulation (destroyed, left to rot in a box in a warehouse, etc...).

The blow insignia is what we have evidence of the only ruptured duck worn in MLB. One is at the Cooperstown Hall of Fame.

post-122868-0-13406400-1452307613.jpg

https://chevronsanddiamonds.wordpress.com/2017/11/06/wwii-veterans-honored-on-the-diamond-ruptured-duck-patches-for-baseball-uniforms/

This blog took the images from this thread. I believe the author is a member here....and I believe they contacted me about using the images last year. Shout out to the USMF!

https://chevronsanddiamonds.wordpress.com/2017/11/06/wwii-veterans-honored-on-the-diamond-ruptured-duck-patches-for-baseball-uniforms/

This blog took the images from this thread. I believe the author is a member here....and I believe they contacted me about using the images last year. Shout out to the USMF!

Yes, I referenced the images here and I sourced them. This forum is promoted on my blogs because of the informal peer-reviewing of information that takes place. These patches are not well-documented and the information that is shared here and elsewhere (also referenced) is valuable for those who are interested in collecting these artifacts. I openly share my own research on my blogs - the product of my efforts to help others, especially when I see things that are misrepresented or outright frauds.

The USMF is a fantastic source for collectors and it will always be a place that I send others in order to tap into the combined hundreds of years of knowledge contained within these pages..