Cold War Soviet Mission Spy Card

Carabinieri

Acquired this from a group of letters and papers of a soldier stationed in Germany in the 1960's. Double sided, sightly larger than a business card. Thought is was interesting anybody remembered being given one?

post-140088-0-90303600-1384641128.jpg

post-140088-0-40826300-1384641136.jpg

That is what we called a "Smell 'em" card, which was for Soviet Military Liaison Mission (SMLM). Every soldier was issued one, and you were expected to report any sighting of them.

I was issued mine in 1975 and I still have it - somewhere!

It looks like yours is dated 1964.

I have one from the late 1970's and I will see if I can find it. As I recall the revised version was a tri-fold.

There were phone numbers to call. The Army figured if the Soviets were shadowing our movements, enough of our GI's would spot them that they could track them no matter where they went.

The Liaison missions were given map restrictions as to where they could go vs. ongoing military movements or exercises.

The Soviet liaison cars became real active during REFORGER and could sometimes be seen following our convoys on the autobahn.

• 4 years later...

I still have mine from when I was stationed in Germany. Mine was a bi-fold. Dated 1986 which I think may have been the last one issued?

Will scan and post a picture later.

I like Cold War military items like this, they are not something that you often run into since they tend to be the kind of things that GI's throw away.