Modified Helmets

GeneralCheese

GeneralCheese

This is something that is not discussed often here, but I think there should be a condensed thread of all the helmets we own, steel or kevlar, that have been modified. While most modifications we see are post-war civilian modifications, we rarely see helmets that were modded by the armed forces. If you want to post helmets that were modified for civilian use, go ahead, but I think this thread would best be used for military modified helmets only.

So dig them out of your collections, and post your modified flak helmets, M1s, kevlars, and whatever else here!

GeneralCheese

Here is my modified M1. It is a front-seam, stainless Schluether with original chinstraps, and a Vietnam liner glued inside. There are three layers of paint I can see, battleship gray, green, and the red. Welded on the front is a headlamp, and the remnants of the battery pack on the back are still there. This is a great example of a Navy repair team helmet, and the only one I have ever seen with the lamp welded on to the shell.

T1WVZ3W.jpg

PmKZ7su.jpg

6cb4Wml.jpg

pWpM0Zz.jpg

The chinstraps show heavy rust, indicating exposure to salt water.

rT8egF6.jpg

CdB31mc.jpg

edi8stK.jpg

So who used that...a caver...a coal-miner? You need to be living in the US to see / find such helmets! Not much chance on this side of the pond.

GeneralCheese

So who used that...a caver...a coal-miner? You need to be living in the US to see / find such helmets! Not much chance on this side of the pond.

Neither, all the signs point to this being a Navy repair team helmet.

Those early M-1 flak helmets, the ones with the area over the ears beat outwards, would be a classic example of a modified helmet. Just wish I had one to post sigh....

Larry

GeneralCheese

Those early M-1 flak helmets, the ones with the area over the ears beat outwards, would be a classic example of a modified helmet. Just wish I had one to post sigh....

Larry

Yup, sadly they are even harder to find since they were thrown away when real flak helmets were introduced.

The only one I've ever seen, essentially similar to the one above, is in a glass case at the American Air Museum at Duxford, England.

This is a great example of a Navy repair team helmet, and the only one I have ever seen with the lamp welded on to the shell.

I have seen 2 with a loop or slide welded to the front, and NEVER one with provision for the battery power pack. That is a rare bird indeed.