Acrylic Footlocker Display

I have limited space for my collection and I was using footlockers to store much of it. The obvious limitation was that you could not see the items inside. I went to a local acrylic shop and had them make a "clear" footlocker with cover and tray. I made it slightly taller than the average general issue to accomodate a helmet in the bottom section. I use it to display a fantasy assortment of items one might find in a soldier's footlocker. I was quite pleased as to how it turned out, and welcome your comments.

post-140088-0-07174000-1384614636.jpg

That is a very novel idea! Is that an original U.S. armband in the lower left. Sure does make it easier when looking for things.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

This crowd has gone deadly silent, a Cinderella story outta nowhere. Former greenskeeper and now about to become the masters champion....Carl Spackler

That's a really good idea for display indeed B) ... I'll keep it in mind for the future.

Collecting USMC AEF 1917-18 & PTO 1941-45, US Navy PTO 1941-45.

Most seeked items : USMC dog tags from 1915 to 1945, USN corpsman dog tags and other identified items, USN id'd M1 helmets.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gif

Looks great!!

Never thought about this possibility before and didn't even know these kind of shops existed, but I found one nearby already that can expect some orders very soon!!

- Sjef -

By God, I think the Devil s#!+$ Dutchmen. [sir W. Batten, 1667]

Actively seeking: WWII USAAF, ETO and PTO bomber crew related items.

My collection

donation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif
donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

That looks awesome. How much did it cost to get made?

Always looking for WW2 USMC militaria and WW2 Corpsman militaria. If you have any you don't want or want to sell let me know, I might be interested.

donation2016.gif

Hi,

That is actually a hand painted Radio Section Identification Sign used by the 3rd bn. 331st Inf. (part of the 83rd). Has all the towns in Belgium, Holland, and Germany where it was used and the names of the soldiers on the back. I even have period picture of the sign hanging from a German fire truck they were using and repainted with unit markings. Pics attached.

post-140088-0-28451900-1384796469.jpg

That is one of the most ingenious display ideas I've ever seen in a collection. Very well thought out and very cool to look at.

"There is no such thing as an expert, only students with different levels of education."

My jaw dropped when I saw this. Wow. What a stellar idea. I really enjoy this a LOT. I think I might try something like this, I do have the materials now, after all. I think $260 is a really good deal on this, too. I recently made a coffee table out of an old engine block and used a sheet of 3/8 acrylic for the top surface…to have a large rectangle cut and polished at the local shop was over $90.

Really nice idea. Thanks for sharing.

Rob

Exhausting & Dirty Work

Interested in buying identified or re-searchable Korean War uniforms, groupings, medals and more.

Thanks for your kind words. Your engine block table sounds pretty cool too, I would recommend you try your hand at making a foot locker. The great thing about it is that almost anything would be appropriate to put inside if arranged in the right way. Believe it or not inside I have a full HBT uniform, skivvies, socks, boots, fatigue hat, winter hat, helmet, musette bag, personal kit, and most of the basic stuff a GI would have. It is actually a great way to weed out stuff from my collection that does not fit, and it is all period stuff.

Thanks,

When I had it made about 3 years ago it was around $260.

Labor costs must be low in your area :) I would have expected a lot more cost for something like that.

I think what might be interesing is to do that with an existing footlocker: basically replacing all of the sides with acrylic. That would be fairly easy to do on the ones that have metal corners pieces. Most footlockers - if they have writing on them - have it on the top, so that would not be affected by replacing the sides.

The place I had it made did a lot of display for the local museums, but believe it or not their main business was the interiors of tanning beds. Since they had a production set up the foot locker was not that hard to made all straight cuts.

As for using an existing foot locker that was my prototype. I found a trunk most likely a private purchase foot locker and converted it, but it was hard to expose a large area and still incorporate the original hardware. Here is a pic.

post-140088-0-06131800-1384919603.jpg

Those look great! Great job with these, that is definitely a unique way to store and enjoy your collection.

Thanks for sharing,

Tom K
USMC (VMFA-115) 90 - 96
ASMIC Member
OVMS member (ready for my 16th SOS in 2019)

donation2016.gifdonation2015.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2012.gif

I did a google search for acrylic trunk and there are lots for sale ranging from about $300 to $3,000. Chinese companies are wholesaling them for $100 or so in quantities of 100 if anyone wants to get into the business :)

Here's the $3,000 trunk and below that a $325 trunk:

luctrunk1.jpg

luctrunk2.jpg

This is a pretty neat display Idea. Would look great for a boot camp rack display.

A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.